Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2012 5.0L coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 5.0L coolant leak

I recently purchased a 2012 with 5.0L and 108kmi. Super clean with excellent documented service record.

The morning after a 300 mile trip, I noticed a steady drip of coolant coming from somewhere near the upper rad hose connection to the t fitting at the water pump. Didn't take the intake off above it for a clear view so not 100% sure exactly where leak is but when I lifted up on the hose, flow increased. Topped of the reservoir with coolant and started the engine. Drip still there. Gave the truck a few minutes to warm up (temp in low teens that morning) and check how much it was leaking. To my surprise, after a 5 min warmup, leak had stopped and almost a week later, not another drop of coolant leak.

I know I need to get this checked out but before I go buying hoses, is there something I'm missing (overflow, etc) that might explain the random leak?
Old 02-14-2016, 06:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if you got this fixed yet or not but it's a o-ring at the t connection. It's like a 3 dollar part.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Ratti
Not sure if you got this fixed yet or not but it's a o-ring at the t connection. It's like a 3 dollar part.
Same thing happened to me, first day of owning my truck. I had to purchase a whole new t-fitting, as ford doesn't sell a replacement oring
Old 02-16-2016, 09:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen where you can get the o ring on Tasca. It's a poor design with the quick disconnects on these models unfortunately. Ford really needs to step it up and address this issue

Quick Reply: 2012 5.0L coolant leak