Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Wiper Issue on 1996 F150XL

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiper Issue on 1996 F150XL

I've been trying to find the source of the problem with my wipers. They run at normal speed all the way through the intermittent settings as well as on the normal setting. The run at high speed on the high setting. They also turn off from any of these settings when you rotate the **** to the off position.

One problem is that they stop wherever they are when you turn them off without parking at the bottom of the stroke.

They also turn on when you depress the washer button and the washer pump does work. The second problem is that in this mode, they stay running and the only way to shut them off is to turn the ignition off.

I have tried a new turn signal switch but the results are the same.

I am waiting for a new wiper motor to be shipped to me to see if that's the problem.

I have noticed a wiper relay online at Advanced Auto but I sure don't see one on my truck. I'd appreciate a shout from anyone who knows where this beast is.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...se+Wiper+Relay

Thanks, Mark
Old 06-28-2023, 09:22 PM

Never mind. I did a little more research and found it. It is in the far right side of the glove box opening. I took it apart and inspected the pc board. I didn't find any visible damage.
Old 07-01-2023, 11:43 AM

I finally found information on the forum by including the word "intermittent". Unfortunately, the fix was for wiper motors in the 92-96 trucks with the two electrical plugs. Mine has the one electrical plug and the contacts inside the plastic gear box cover are hidden behind a plastic-welded cover. I ended up putting in an aftermarket replacement motor, which solved all my problems. just thought I'd put this out there for anyone with the same issue.

Quick Reply: Wiper Issue on 1996 F150XL