Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Steering shaking over 65mph b/c of dealership mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2023, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering shaking over 65mph b/c of dealership mechanic

Hello everyone, I just wanted to get some information if anyone has gone through this. I took in my truck 2016 F150 Limited, for maintenance because of a long trip I was taking from Westchester, NY to Orlando, FL. I took it to the Ford dealership, I asked them if I needed new wheels for the long trip and to check everything else that needed to be done. They replaced the front brake pads, rotors, shims, and hardware kit bk5. They also removed rear rotors, cleaned up debris, did an oil change, and installed 4 new tires. All this was done on June 12, 2023. When I picked it up I took it for a test drive and when I was going 65/70mph I felt the steering wheel shaking. I took it back to the dealership and informed them of what was happening. They kept it for a whole day and they didn’t call me back with an answer of why this was happening. I went the next day in person and the manager said that the alignment was good I told them that wasn't possible because the steering shaking wasn’t happening when I brought it in. Then he said they were going to recheck the alignment and by the end of the day, it would be done. They called me and told me they found a problem with the rear passenger tire that it wasn’t taking the weight and he believed the rim had a problem. He said they need to send the tire to get refurbished and I said again that can't be, I drive this truck every other week to PA and the truck never had steer shaking. He said ok they put the tire back and nothing was fixed. When they did a 2nd tire alignment they didn't find any problem with the rim. He did tell me that they took 4 other tires from a different truck and put them on my truck and tested the driving and the problem was still there. Then he said the front left wheel hub had some wear and tear and they replaced it and it didn't fix the problem. They told me the next day that they took the tires to be balanced at another shop because the machine wasn't working well. The truck has been in the dealership for over a week and they can't find the problem. I called another shop that I do business with for my other vehicles and they told me that the problem had to be with the tires, that they aren't balanced right. They told me to bring the car to them and they will videotape everything that they check on the truck but Ford would have to sign to take liability for anything that has to be done. When I went to get the truck Ford manager said they would not be liable for everything, they only wanted to be liable for the tires, and I said no. The truck is still there, I was supposed to leave today for my trip and I have flights leaving from Orlando, FL and Ford will not give me a rental for my trip and now I have to cancel our flights and lose more money on top of the inconvenience of not having my car for over 2 weeks. My truck has 81,000 miles and it's in perfect condition Ford Dealership is the only shop that has worked on my truck. Does anyone have a suggestion of what I should do next?
Old 07-01-2023, 12:03 PM

Received 240 Likes on 213 Posts

First I think you will have to get it fixed.....depending on what is found /fixed will then help you decide your next action.....You say shaking or is it a vibration & if it is shaking I would suspect a bad new tire especially after a re-balance, ,,,Good Luck !!...
After putting on the new tires
Old 07-01-2023, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ford Service doesn't know why the steering wheel is vibrating. They said they checked the tires and the alignment again and put in new rooters but the problem is still there. They have my truck in the shop for almost 2 weeks now and they don't know what is the problem.

Old 07-01-2023, 09:02 PM

Received 371 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by TNAF150
Ford Service doesn't know why the steering wheel is vibrating. They said they checked the tires and the alignment again and put in new rooters but the problem is still there. They have my truck in the shop for almost 2 weeks now and they don't know what is the problem.
I would take the truck to a good independent tire shop and ask them to fix it. Give them the full history. If the problem turns out to be with work or materials from the dealership then go back and negotiate with them. At least the vehicle will be back in service meanwhile.

Last edited by Barry_Vee; 07-01-2023 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2023, 10:40 PM

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

In the future, I would take the truck to a real tire dealer for new tires. My experience with Ford dealers and new tires has been spotty. They look for everything else that could be wrong with the truck shaking down the road, especially at higher speeds. Probably need to get the tires road force balanced elsewhere and just pay for it. That is something most of the dealers can't do with their limited equipment.

We drive three 4wd Ford F-150's and I'm not sure we have ever had any of them aligned unless there were suspension components replaced as in ball joints. And that has been rare over many years. And high mileage.

Quick Reply: Steering shaking over 65mph b/c of dealership mechanic