Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

What is this sound?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this sound?!

Can someone at least point me in the right direction for my issue. Every time I start the truck up after it’s been sitting for about 30 minutes or more I hear a loud sound for about 10 seconds. It sounds like loud lifters or something but then goes away....

Truck is a 2012 fx4 with the eco boost v6.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EqF...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 06-06-2019, 07:30 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

That, my friend I’d the dreaded timing chain rattle. Very common and very expensive to repair. It usually only happens after a “cold soak” like sitting overnight. If it’s happening while it’s still warm, the problem is getting much worst.
Do you have any kind of extended warranty on your truck? It’s about a $3k repair if done at a dealership.
Sorry for the bad news!
Old 06-06-2019, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike from TN
That, my friend I’d the dreaded timing chain rattle. Very common and very expensive to repair. It usually only happens after a “cold soak” like sitting overnight. If it’s happening while it’s still warm, the problem is getting much worst.
Do you have any kind of extended warranty on your truck? It’s about a $3k repair if done at a dealership.
Sorry for the bad news!
That blows! Truck has 156k miles but had a new engine under warranty 2 years and 20k miles ago. I’m sure no warranty. This truck has been a nightmare from a rear end re build, new suspension all around and severely rusted cab corners. What a pile!
Old 06-06-2019, 09:27 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason7467
That blows! Truck has 156k miles but had a new engine under warranty 2 years and 20k miles ago. I’m sure no warranty. This truck has been a nightmare from a rear end re build, new suspension all around and severely rusted cab corners. What a pile!
Was there any kind of warranty on the replacement engine? Dealer installed? Maybe you could get some assistance from the installer on the t-chain repair.
Sorry to hear that you had such bad luck with your truck! I hope you can get this issue worked out without too much “out of pocket” pain!

Quick Reply: What is this sound?!