Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

transmission flush

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 02:07 AM
SRH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default transmission flush

I have searched around and didnt come up with a definitive answer and was wondering. I have a 06 f150 with 78k miles 75% highway miles and 25% city. Would a Flush be bad at this point? My fluid still looks pinks when i check it. I am not sure if it has been changed before.
Ive never had any problems with shifting or what not or the transmission slipping.

Your thoughts, do it or no? would it be safe?
Old 03-28-2012, 06:01 AM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

Why would you think a regular scheduled maintenance task would be bad ?? Flush it and change the filter...
Old 03-30-2012, 02:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok... Common misconception about Oil and Engine fluids. People believe that they wear out based on miles.... Well thats not really true... Your fluids break down based of two primary things "heat" and "Pressure"... So realistically it depends on how many hours or so you've been running. Standard conventional oil for instance breaks down after somewhere between 160-180 hours of operation. Somwhere someone calculated that up and said its about 3 months or 3,000 miles. If your fluid smells burnt... then it probably is. But as for transmission flushes. Most companies recomend a flush around 60,000 miles. But if its not burnt its not that bad. I get what you might be thinking if you flush the transimission with the fluids being really crappy it might affect it by possibly freeing up some gunk that was in there or something. I've heard it all but its based of the fluid. If your transmission fluid looks like your oil.... then your hurting. if it still looks pink and lovely and doesn't smell that burnt. Just flush it.... It is your transmission, and i would make sure you try to stick to the maintenance plan if you plan on keeping your truck for a while.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The only company's suggestion that matters here is Ford. They designed it, they know what's best for it. Look in your owners manual and see what they say it should be changed at. Earlier is always better than later, though.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And don't be suprised if you see 100,000 miles or sealed for lifetime of unit. The clearances, fluids, and additives are so much better than they have been in the past that they last a lot longer than they used to. That's why you find a lot of newer engines only require an oil change every 5 or 7 thousand miles instead of the classic three. You definitely won't hurt anything by changing it early though.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:57 PM
SRH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well I Had ford do it and they recommended it. I must say it made a HUGE difference, the truck shifts so much smoother, I am glad I did it.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SRH
well I Had ford do it and they recommended it. I must say it made a HUGE difference, the truck shifts so much smoother, I am glad I did it.
Just curious - how much did they charge you? I am thinking about taking my truck in for a flush as well.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I too recently bought a 2006 F150, and like I always do when I buy something new(used), I change all the oils, fluids, and filters so I know its all good. The way I think, if your in doubt, just change it it will never hurt to have new fluids.
I just replaced my trans fluid and filter myself over the weekend. Its really easy to drop the pan and change the filter then add new fluid. Takes less than an hour. $20 filter, the pan gasket is reuseable (if its the factory one), and it took about 7qts of mercon v.

Quick Reply: transmission flush