Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Tire lean 95 F150.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire lean 95 F150.

Okay, so I got a 1995 F150 2wd XLT.
Well I got it in my head I had struts, which I guess I dont, But it just started making a loud " Clunk " Noise every time i go over a bump when the front end bounces about 2 weeks ago.
And my front left Tire leans in at the top. It always leans in, not just when I reverse. I dont know if I got a split axle or not, but Im thinking it's springs, ball join, or a bushing.
Any suggestions.?
Old 04-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default You Said It:

Originally Posted by 95150s
...... but Im thinking it's ball joints or bushings.
The front suspension should be the same as my '97 RWD XLT,
conventional dual A-frame suspension with coil springs.
Look for loose wheel bearings and broken swaybar links as well.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:05 PM
DIY

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been driving my '96 XLT standard cab with twin I-beam front suspension for the past 15 months. Last month I replaced the front tires and discovered the upper and lower ball joints were shot. I replaced the upper and lower ball joints, repacked the like new wheel bearings, and inspected the tie rod ends last week.You can rule those out. The clunk I'm hearing only when backing out of my driveway may be due to worn radius rod bushings, or worn sway bar bushings. Though my RR bushings look new, I'm rechecking these and the sway bar bushings today. 1997 was the 1st year Ford F-series went to A-arms.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:35 PM
DIY

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 95150s
Okay, so I got a 1995 F150 2wd XLT.
Well I got it in my head I had struts, which I guess I dont, But it just started making a loud " Clunk " Noise every time i go over a bump when the front end bounces about 2 weeks ago.
And my front left Tire leans in at the top. It always leans in, not just when I reverse. I dont know if I got a split axle or not, but Im thinking it's springs, ball join, or a bushing.
Any suggestions.?
Remove the left tire and look at the upper and lower ball joints. grasp the top and bottom of the brake rotor and lift. it either or both ball joints allow movement, replace them. It's a tough job, but you'll save $250-$300 if you do it yourself. [Check out my post with the link for ball joint replacement]
If your ball joints are OK, see if there is an eccentric nut with a clamp bolt holding the upper ball joint pin. Note the position of this eccentric nut. To adjust, loosen the clamping bolt and using a 1 1/2" wrench, turn the eccentric nut until the fat side is facing in toward the I-beam. Reinstall the tire and tighten the lug nuts. Lower the tire to the ground and remove the jack. The left tire will now be leaning out at the top or not leaning at all. Desired camber should be 0 to 1/4 degree positive and toe-in should be 0 to 1/32"

Last edited by DIY; 05-07-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire lean 95 F150.