Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Ticking started after Seafoam and 35 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 09:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ticking started after Seafoam and 35 miles

Hey All,
I have a 2008 F150 Crew Cab...
193K miles
Was throwing P0011 and P0021 codes. I put in about 2 ounces of Seafoam into the brake boost vacuum line and the remainder in a 2/3 full gas tank.
The motor quieted down almost immediately...
I then started my 40 mile commute. country roads.
At about 35 miles the motor started ticking...
I hope to hear some thoughts about this before the work day is over. I have to travel on the highway tonight for about 150 miles and do not want to wreck anything up. We need to travel up north next weekend and thats about 600 miles round trip.
Thank you for reading
Fritz
Old 05-17-2019, 09:07 AM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

Are you sure the ticking is coming from the motor? There are a few other things that could be causing or making a ticking sound
Old 05-17-2019, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Fritzl65
Hey All,
I have a 2008 F150 Crew Cab...
193K miles
Was throwing P0011 and P0021 codes. I put in about 2 ounces of Seafoam into the brake boost vacuum line and the remainder in a 2/3 full gas tank.
The motor quieted down almost immediately...
I then started my 40 mile commute. country roads.
At about 35 miles the motor started ticking...
I hope to hear some thoughts about this before the work day is over. I have to travel on the highway tonight for about 150 miles and do not want to wreck anything up. We need to travel up north next weekend and thats about 600 miles round trip.
Thank you for reading
Fritz

I bought this truck.about 2 weeks ago.. it had a problem with dash cluster which i fixed..most lights were on and the dime light was intermittent...
when i fixed this one light stayed on
.. the check engine light. i checked the code. P0011 and P0021... I thought it may be sticky VVT so i put in seafoam that morning...
after 35 miles ticking started...
I worked till 5 then went to oil change..After oil change the ticking still there.
this ticking was/is only at idle or a stop sign or light.
I then drove the truck to Chicago and no issues.at highway speeds.
On return trip ticking was still evident at stops, but again at highway speeds no issues..
until I reached Kenosha.. the truck lost power... would not accelerate and was flashing the check.engine light. and shuddering at stops along 50. It would clear itself at times...but the flashing check engine light continued...
please take a look at it when you can..
thank you
Old 05-21-2019, 12:02 PM

and like that Phasers...
WTF>
WAS RUNNING GREAT EXCEPT FOR AN ANNOYING LIGHT.
now 2k poorer
Old 05-24-2019, 10:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where these engines have small oil galleries in the heads, the sea foam might have dislodged pieces of carbon from the various areas in the engine and partially blocked one or more galleries that supply oil under pressure. Do a oil pressure test to check the pressure in the heads and maybe remove the phasers and check the screens for containment. This would be my first procedure.

Quick Reply: Ticking started after Seafoam and 35 miles