Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

What are these things hanging under my truck

Old 05-19-2019, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What are these things hanging under my truck

As I was driving up to my house I saw something hanging down from under my truck. There does not seem to be any place to connect the hose in the area. See photos. As I was crawling under my truck I saw two connectors, one on each side of spare tire, hanging down. It seems as if the connectors are damaged, they look melted. What are these connectors?

Old 05-19-2019, 01:57 PM
rodent aviator

Received 272 Likes on 145 Posts

The first one is your axle vent tube. It normally attaches somewhere on the truck frame where it can breathe without getting splashed with too much mud. Second one looks like a bulb socket?
Old 05-19-2019, 05:51 PM

They do look like electrical connectors. I have two issues.
#1 Why are they not connected and hanging?
#2 Why does it look like they are damaged, almost melted looking?
Old 05-19-2019, 06:05 PM
rodent aviator

Received 272 Likes on 145 Posts

The first one is not electrical. It's a vent for the axle to allow for air expansion when the axle lube heats up. It needs to be reconnected so the end is higher than the axle.

Second one looks like possibly a license tag light? Not sure where it is located. They do get hot and can melt if they are left on for extended periods and/or if someone uses a higher wattage bulb than original.

It's not my truck, I cannot tell you why they are not connected any more and hanging. Something or someone must have pulled them out. Maybe you can fix them?
Old 05-19-2019, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Second one looks like possibly a license tag light? Not sure where it is located. They do get hot and can melt if they are left on for extended periods and/or if someone uses a higher wattage bulb than original.
There is one of those connectors hanging on each side of the spare tire. I’ll check my license plate lights.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:35 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)
Old 05-24-2019, 11:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These axle vent lines would serve better if they had check valves installed to stop the inclusion of water and other containments. Go to a used auto parts yard and check out a similar setup and get the missing hanger etc.
That socket looks as though it's been corroded badly and might also need replacing , check your tag lights for a missing light illumination.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are these things hanging under my truck