Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Rough Idle/Vibration While in Gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle/Vibration While in Gear

Hello all, I'm looking to find a solution to an issue I'm having in my 1999 F-250 Light Duty V8. After losing nearly all transmission fluid on a trip and burning my trans up, I had a shop rebuild it. Since the day I drove it home from the rebuild, it has had an issue where while idling in drive (at stop lights for example), the truck will intermittently seem to hit a "rough spot" and sounds like it bogs down. If I slip it into neutral while sitting there, it runs perfectly. But as long as it's stopped and in drive, it will do this. The RPMs don't seem to go down while this is happening, sometimes it may jump down 10 or so at the most. As soon as you get it going and while driving, it always runs great. No check engine lights are on, and other than this the truck is in good shape. I've recently replaced all the coils, so I know they're good. Also, my overdrive has never worked properly since the rebuild. When I press the button to turn it off, nothing ever happens. The rough idle has never actually bogged the truck down to the point of shutting off, but it's pretty annoying and I'd like to at least have an idea of what's causing it.

Thank you!
Old 04-20-2018, 07:31 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Could be a couple things (vibration) they could have damaged the already weak motor mounts(from age) when they took the trans out, they could have left something unbolted like the trans mount, they could have pinched wires on R&R see the pattern yet?

Take it back and make them make it right, you paid to have it fixed not fubar'd more.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle/Vibration While in Gear