Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

ran truck with oil too low

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ran truck with oil too low

my 09 FX4 has 26K miles on it now. I switched oil to Amsoil 0w-20 since 10K miles. truck ran great. just recently before doing my 3rd Amsoil change, I checked the dipstick and it was way too low there is no oil on the dipstick . now, I have been changing oil for years and I always drive the vehicle to normal temp then recheck level. but I gotta admit, I haven't checked the level for several thousand miles, bad on my part. after draining, there was only about 4 quarts of oil collected . the truck ran perfect and there was no changes to how it drives. the oil pressure gauge never moved from the middle. I was terrified when I found out about this. I am usually very good at keeping up with the maintenance of our fleet. how can I let this one slipped through . the question is, did I damage my engine? how would I find out? what would be the first part that would be damaged? I am guessing the crankshaft bearings but I am not sure. the truck drives just like when I drove her off the lot. no difference at all.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull a sample of the oil and send it in for analysis. If the metals are high you may have done some damage.
Amsol is a good oil that leaves a thin film on the inside of the liners etc.
Only a $25 analysis from Blackstone labs (or other labs) can tell you for sure if damage was done.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by DBPFORD
Pull a sample of the oil and send it in for analysis. If the metals are high you may have done some damage.
Amsol is a good oil that leaves a thin film on the inside of the liners etc.
Only a $25 analysis from Blackstone labs (or other labs) can tell you for sure if damage was done.
thanks Bud, Blackstone labs is what I have in mind. I will be sending them a sample soon. I only have about 200 miles on the new oil. should I send them a sample now or just wait until next oil change?

Last edited by dakrat; 10-31-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can find the old oil that would be the best. If not, just wait for the next oil change.
If curiosity is killing you when send a sample in now. My thought is that the oil should be lubricating the engine now. The only concern is whether the wear metals are still circulating in the engine. Hope you are using a good oil filter to remove the bigger metal pieces.
PS Write Blackstone a note about low oil. They factor that into the analysis. Low oil is not the end of the world. It's better than dirty gritty oil than has lost it's additive package.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by DBPFORD
If you can find the old oil that would be the best. If not, just wait for the next oil change.
If curiosity is killing you when send a sample in now. My thought is that the oil should be lubricating the engine now. The only concern is whether the wear metals are still circulating in the engine. Hope you are using a good oil filter to remove the bigger metal pieces.
PS Write Blackstone a note about low oil. They factor that into the analysis. Low oil is not the end of the world. It's better than dirty gritty oil than has lost it's additive package.
thanks, I sent them an email explaining my sitaution. I am using Amsoil synthetic filter which I believe has bigger trapped particle capacity.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:07 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

It's a synthetic so it is very possible that you are okay. Not that you would want that to happen again lol. But I was running an Enduro with my KTM 300 2 Stroke w/ Royal Purple tranny fluid. At some point in the race my drain plug came out, completely drained out my tranny, and I ran 60 mile race where there were parts where 60-65mph was not uncommon. Didn't hurt my engine at all works fine to this day. Synthetics are quite amazing oils and if you still have as much oil as you say you did, it would not surprise me at all if you come out okay. Besides that, if you did damage something, odds are you would have noticed it by now.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:38 AM
crush a little car today

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've run Amsoil for 17,000 miles and off the dipstick. No ill effects and BlackStone labs backed that up. Now they say run the oil 7000 miles if I want.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:18 PM

thanks folks, feel much better
Old 11-09-2010, 08:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many quarts did you put in?

Quick Reply: ran truck with oil too low