Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Rear diff and transfer case fluid change

Old 08-02-2010, 08:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Rear diff and transfer case fluid change

Hey All:

I just picked up a 2001 SCREW 4x4 with a 5.4 motor.

I don't have any maintenance records, so I want to replace as many of the fluids as possible before winter. So far I have just replaced the tranny fluid and engine oil.

My areas of concern are a transfer case flush, and a rear diff fluid change. I looked in the owner's guide and can't find anything regarding capacaties. I would like to use one of these Mobil1 products :

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ubricants.aspx

..but I don't know how much I need to buy to perform this procedure.

Anyone out there know which Mobil1 product I should use, and how much of it I need??

Thanks for your help,

Jake's Dad
Old 08-02-2010, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T-case should take about 2 quarts and the rear diff should take about 3. If I remember right
Old 08-03-2010, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 quarts for the trans case is correct and 3 quarts for the rear is what i needed check and see if you need friction mod additive for the rear i had to buy it mobil 1 itsnt my oil of choice but i have heard its good i hear many people suggesting royal purple and i have seen a few posts on here about it i am a amsoil guy but everyone has there preferences if you are taking the time to do the rear i would do the front also it takes 2 quarts
Old 10-08-2010, 11:14 PM

Going to do this myself. Rear diff. takes 75w140, 2.6L(5.5pints), front axle takes 75w90, 2.0L(3.7 pints), transfer case takes 2 quarts of MERCON ATF 4x4 vehicles according to the Owners Guide I have. If u can't find an Owners Guide for ur truck, buy a Haynes Repair Manual, it helps. It does not show how to change the transfer case oil though.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:20 PM

While your in the mood,change the radiator fluid I do it every other year and dont for get to add fuel injection cleaner....buddy of mine works for a Toyota Dealer and suggested it to me...
Old 11-10-2010, 12:20 AM

2 quarts. About 3 weeks ago i changed my front differential and rear differential with Royal Purple gear oil, engine oil with pennzoil ultra class synthetic, transfer case with royal purple ATF, K&N oil filter, cleaned my K&N air filter, and added 3 bottles of Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear diff and transfer case fluid change