Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Problems with a 95 5.8 v8

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with a 95 5.8 v8

Hello,
I recently started having issues with my truck. It has an incredibly inconsitent idle, and while im driving its very sluggish on acceleration. Everyonce in a while i swear that i hear a back fire from my exhaust but im not sure. It will run good for a little bit but eventually the rpms will go up and down randomly. It should also be noted that for some reason it says my oil and engine temp are low on my gauges.
ive replaced the o2 and map sensor and am at a loss as those two things usually fix this kind of problem.

Please help if you can.
-Thankyou.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:25 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Stop blindly swapping parts. If you have those original sensors, I recommend you put them back. Originals are typically FAR-superior to replacements.

Next: fill in your signature with ALL the truck's details, including each option & its repair/maintenance history, as this caption describes:

(phone app link)

Then: clean & tighten the battery terminals (or replace them if necessary) as described in the captions of this photo album:

(phone app link)

If the symptom persists, you need to describe it better. When did it appear (time/miles)? Suddenly or progressively? Constantly, or only under specific conditions (what are those)? Have you followed the published maintenance schedule using only top-quality parts & published procedures? Tell us all the answers to this form:

(phone app link)

Do you have a Haynes manual. If so: have you READ IT?

(phone app link)

Whether or not you've seen the CEL, read the DTCs using a simple jumper wire:

(phone app link)
Old 09-23-2018, 04:47 PM

I was not really blindly swapping parts. I was changing them because those were items that had to do with the codes I was recieving. Turns out I was chasing an exhaust problem more specifically my Cat was plugged.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:47 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

The entire truck "has to do with the codes" - why not change it out? Changing a part for no reason other than it being mentioned in a code definition is "blindly".

Catalysts don't simply "get plugged". They overheat due to other engine problems, causing the ceramic substrate to break down, and block itself up. If you don't find the original root cause of the catalyst failure, the truck will continue to have problems.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:16 PM

Alright let me put it this way. My cat was plugged because of several reasons of which were already fixed before i replaced my cat. I am not an idiot and know enough about vehicles to know why a cat can become plugged, and know very well the things that can cause them to fail. I also know enough to know if a cat has issues there are other issues that cause them to fail. I did not come on this forum to be patronized or get be littled by someone. I came on here to see if someone would have any insight as to what might be happening (which i figured out both on my own and the help of a mechanic.) So if you feel the need to continue your patronization of me by all means continue. It matters little to me as I will not be coming back anyways.

Quick Reply: Problems with a 95 5.8 v8