Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

P2106 nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P2106 nightmare

Ok I recently purchased a 2004 f150 fx4 lifted with a fabtech 6inch coil over lift 37x13.5. It has after market true dual exhaust air bag suspension cold air intake throttle body spacer and rebuilt transmission about 12 k miles ago. I bought it with the service light on and I knew it had a p2106 code but the truck ran great until it would throw the code. Okay, that's the truck and the code here is the conditions, the truck cranks with no problem idles at around 750 nice and smooth. I can rev the engine while in park or neutral and it doesn't skip a beat. When going down the road the truck shifts smooth and is very responsive but the second I get to 40 mph on the speedometer, around 55 actual speed with the 37s, throws a service light and occasionly a check engine light and goes into limp mode. The code is p2106 for both the service light and the check engine code. I've cleaned the mass air flow sensor and the throttle body neither appeared dirty and the truck doesn't show any change. I don't have an ABS light and I have had the codes when I scan the abs. But, I replaced the ABS speed sensor in the rear diff and it changed nothing. I read a post about the sensor going out but not throw a code. I replaced it to check no luck. I'm truly stumped the only thing I find that is even remotely a issue is once it is in limp mode the service light is on if I put it in neutral and rev the truck it starts to rev rough and then it sounds like it's misfiring. But I'm not sure if that's because it's in limp mode or because it's got spark plug or coil issues. I've been reading posts for days and I can't find anything to fix it yet. I even reset the pcm by disconnecting the leads on the battery and keeping them together so that the memory will reset. Please help me ford brothers

Last edited by Charles Oconnor; 01-15-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:14 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Paragraphs please. That's very hard to read when it runs on like that.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P2106 nightmare this won’t go away

This code will not go away . I have replaced the throttle body and fuel filter. My own mechanics told me to take it to Ford!! Just bought a truck 2004 f150 4.6 4x4 I seen you tube videos that said replace all speed sensors 2 in front and 1 back where rear end is and that should help Also the EGR valve and components need to be replaced also I’m taking it to a emission shop tomorrow

2004 f150 super clean no rust for being in North East
Originally Posted by Charles Oconnor
Ok I recently purchased a 2004 f150 fx4 lifted with a fabtech 6inch coil over lift 37x13.5. It has after market true dual exhaust air bag suspension cold air intake throttle body spacer and rebuilt transmission about 12 k miles ago. I bought it with the service light on and I knew it had a p2106 code but the truck ran great until it would throw the code. Okay, that's the truck and the code here is the conditions, the truck cranks with no problem idles at around 750 nice and smooth. I can rev the engine while in park or neutral and it doesn't skip a beat. When going down the road the truck shifts smooth and is very responsive but the second I get to 40 mph on the speedometer, around 55 actual speed with the 37s, throws a service light and occasionly a check engine light and goes into limp mode. The code is p2106 for both the service light and the check engine code. I've cleaned the mass air flow sensor and the throttle body neither appeared dirty and the truck doesn't show any change. I don't have an ABS light and I have had the codes when I scan the abs. But, I replaced the ABS speed sensor in the rear diff and it changed nothing. I read a post about the sensor going out but not throw a code. I replaced it to check no luck. I'm truly stumped the only thing I find that is even remotely a issue is once it is in limp mode the service light is on if I put it in neutral and rev the truck it starts to rev rough and then it sounds like it's misfiring. But I'm not sure if that's because it's in limp mode or because it's got spark plug or coil issues. I've been reading posts for days and I can't find anything to fix it yet. I even reset the pcm by disconnecting the leads on the battery and keeping them together so that the memory will reset. Please help me ford brothers

Quick Reply: P2106 nightmare