Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Odd sound in the front end

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Odd sound in the front end

Hi I am new here, seeking some advice I have a 2005 f150 xlt super crew 2wd when I turn the steering wheel to a certain point left or right (not quite all the way) I get a clanking, or grinding sound the sound only comes from the left side however there is no evidence of something hitting down there.. It only does this when the wheels are on the ground and rolling, when off the ground there are no foreign sounds, truck makes no sounds when rolling straight forward, I am pretty mechanically advanced, I'm thinking its going to be some sort of steering component (rack and pinion, or tie rod ends) or maybe a suspension part (strut, strut tower, bushings), truck has just over 100K miles, some of which have been pretty rough on it. I made a video of this sound so you can hear it, any help in diagnosing this problem would be greatly appreciated

http://youtu.be/NadSSH5YVoc

Thanks in advance
Old 04-25-2013, 10:26 PM

Could be ball joints, have those been replaced on the truck? I know I hd to change my upper and lower ball joints at 82k. My truck made similar noises. see if the rubber boot is cracked causing water and dirt to get in there. The upper ball joint is all one unit meaning you have to replace the upper control arm with the ball joint already pressed in, lower ball joint is a whole mother story. The whole steering knuckle has to be removed. If they are cracked or torn its definitely time to get them replaced. Mine came at a bad time where I had to work all weekend, I just put a couple squirts of grease and it shut up till the next weekend. Pretty easy job if you have a ball joint press. Hope this helps you.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:59 AM

I'll have to check that out tomorrow, thanks for the help though

Quick Reply: Odd sound in the front end