Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

No Tensioner Pulley on 2002 4.2L Engine? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Tensioner Pulley on 2002 4.2L Engine? Help!

Hello Ford F-150 fans:

I'm new to the forum and thought that maybe someone out there has had the same problem as I. I have a 2002 4.2L F-150. The alternator went out and I was looking as to how to remove it. I checked on YouTube and most of the videos say that there is a tensioner pulley that has to be released to get the serpentine belt off the alternator. For an hour last evening I looked at the front of the engine and saw no where that even looked like a tensioner pulley. I contacted a local auto parts dealer and they said the tensioner pulley should be right above the harmonic balancer...it aint. The only pulley I saw that even looked like it could be moved had a bolt in it but no hole to insert a breaker bar or removal tool. Any ideas?

Michael
Old 05-18-2016, 08:21 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Looks like this.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:35 PM

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

You use a long wrench on the bolt thru pulley and move pulley in the direction that would remove tension from belt (clockwise). Remove belt from alter pulley and slowly release pressure on wrench. Then reverse. Do not let wrench from your hand or it will whack you good, don't ask.

Quick Reply: No Tensioner Pulley on 2002 4.2L Engine? Help!