Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

No brake lights, need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No brake lights, need help

(98 xlt 4.2L 2WD) Hey just wondering if anyone has had this problem and if they were successful in resolving the issue. One day i parked at a bank letting the truck idle came back in wouldnt come out of park and the brake lights wouldnt come on. replaced the brake on off switch, no go. tested the current going to the switch 12v present, tested the current on the control out side of the switch with the brake depressed and 12v present. tested continuity on the multiswitch for the hazard plugins and they all test ok. replaced the shift solenoid actuator and still nothing. volt tested the bulb plugins on the tail and all have 12v on all four prongs since the same bulb is shared for turn and brake on the 98's (turn signals still work fine) no codes come up on the reader and none of the lights are on on the gauge cluster. Ive pulled every plug and harness that i can see that has the same color wire as the wires on the brake switch and they all show 12v's on the tester. ALSO all my fuses are good. Totally lost and want to know if anyone has had this problem and what they did to resolve this...I really want to solve this cuz i miss driving my baby haha. thanks
Old 05-05-2013, 04:53 PM

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Pull on the wires at the brake on off switch and see iff one of em pulls off. Normally the wire breaks inside the insulation and might have a partial connection that a meter will show 12v but not be able to deliver the current, use a test light and go back over all the connections, start at the brake switch.

Light green and light green with red tracer.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:39 PM

Could the multi switch be a cause too? Cuz it shows current passing through the switch with the brake depressed and I've checked wiring all seems good
Old 05-05-2013, 05:51 PM

For the brake lights maybe but not the shift lock, it's a pretty simple circuit.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:46 PM

Ok, cuz my shifter won't come out of park either so I'm guessing one is causing the other either the brake lights are causing the shift lock or the shift lock is causing the brake lights
Old 05-05-2013, 09:38 PM

As I said, get a test light and check both wires going to the brake light switch. NOT a multimeter. Those year trucks brake light switch wires were known for breaking right at the switch.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:05 AM

Well, figured out the problem. I noticed that when visions installed my viper command start/security system 8 years ago they spiced into the control side of the brake wire. So I touched the current tester onto the open splice and touched the 2 elbow clips that connect to the switch...nothing. Then I pushed the current tester into the gap between the wire coating and the metal elbow clip with some force and I saw a quick flicker from the test light. Thought that was odd so I cut the elbow clips off, stripped the wire and touched the wires together and bang brake lights came on...turned out the elbow clips were the problem the reason I never would of thought of them was they weren't charred and the wires were clean and good were it was clamped together...2 months of tinkering and it came down to 30 minutes to replace the elbow clips and reconstruct the dash. Just glad to have my baby back haha
Old 05-13-2013, 10:06 AM

Rnlcomp thanks for the help man

Quick Reply: No brake lights, need help