Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

New Truck owner Oil Change / Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Truck owner Oil Change / Maintenance

I bought a 2017 XL Supercab F-150 last week that was a demo and has 3,000 miles which has been on the lot over a year. Should I change the oil and should I get oil filter done with it? I don't have Ford dealer maintenance package so I was going to go to Quick Lube place. Can I trust them? What maintenance would you recommend next?

Thanks,
Geoff
Old 07-03-2018, 02:53 PM

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

Change the oil and filters as the vehicle is more than a year old (assuming it has never been changed). Then you know it's starting point. I do all my own oil changes because of bad experiences with in the past. Let the oil drain for a good bit of time as Stop / Start feature retains oil in the upper half of the motor. In my book there is no good "Quick oil change". Read the manual and follow the suggested maintenance schedule. I personally rotate my tires every 5,000 miles and pressure wash the brake assemblies to keep them clean. Check tire pressure monthly (at least).
The following users liked this post:
geoffstclair23 (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 05:02 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

I get "The Works" package at the dealership. Oil/filter change, tire rotation ( no balance ), brake check with printout of remaining pad thickness, tire check with printout of tread depth remaining , battery tested and washer fluid topped off. All for under $30. I have it done every 5k miles and also have them replace the air filter. I do the air filter so often because I drive gravel roads a lot and kick up a lot of dust. That adds like another $15!
Id stay away from the "Quick Lube" places. The dealer knows your vehicle better and uses genuine Ford parts. Also, get to know and develop a "relationship" with the service advisors.
The following users liked this post:
geoffstclair23 (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: New Truck owner Oil Change / Maintenance