Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

MAF

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF

Can a maf sensor affect trans performance? Just had my trans rebuilt and am not happy with how it's performing!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:57 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

No
Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 AM

I have done my homework on this after I posted this and, YES the MAF absolutely does affect the trans performance! Thanks for the post though. U might want to check ur info before posting a reply on a subject ur not up to speed on.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:42 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

lol still no.

Please explain how a sensor that measures the mass of the air flowing through the intake tube to tell the computer how much fuel needs to be put in affects the trans. The MAF sensor heats itself up and the air flowing through it cools the sensor off. With a series of forumulas you can calculate how much air is flowing through based on how much extra voltage is being required by the sensor to keeps its temperature.
The MAF along with your HO2 sensors are what determine your A/F Ratio.

I don't need to do any research because it's common sense. If you know what the MAF is actually for, then you know it doesn't have anything to do with the transmission. They don't have MAF on carburreted vehicles and people delete the MAF sensor on sports cars all the time. They don't suddenly have trans trouble due to this. It's the open loop controller for A:F. Nothing more nothing Less.

IDK what "Homework" you did, but believe whatever you want.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:28 PM

Doesnt matter, clean it anyway, MAF`s work hard.
and no, it doesnt. not one bit.
good luck!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:14 PM

Default Good for u!

Originally Posted by BassAckwards
lol still no.

Please explain how a sensor that measures the mass of the air flowing through the intake tube to tell the computer how much fuel needs to be put in affects the trans. The MAF sensor heats itself up and the air flowing through it cools the sensor off. With a series of forumulas you can calculate how much air is flowing through based on how much extra voltage is being required by the sensor to keeps its temperature.
The MAF along with your HO2 sensors are what determine your A/F Ratio.

I don't need to do any research because it's common sense. If you know what the MAF is actually for, then you know it doesn't have anything to do with the transmission. They don't have MAF on carburreted vehicles and people delete the MAF sensor on sports cars all the time. They don't suddenly have trans trouble due to this. It's the open loop controller for A:F. Nothing more nothing Less.

IDK what "Homework" you did, but believe whatever you want.
So u got it all figured out huh? I don't really care if u belive that is does or not. Ur knowledge doen't affect my life, and I'm not here for a pissing match. I do now know that the MAF does for a mechanical fact, if not properly operating affect the trans. It's of no credit to me to prove this. I have spoken to numerous trans shops who confirmed my statement. I not just making things up. Since u may have been fed bad info from who know who, try calling some top notch trans professionals and then respond.....I wasn't post for someone's opinion....let stick to facts!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:17 PM

Default YEP!

Originally Posted by CRASH3400
Doesnt matter, clean it anyway, MAF`s work hard.
and no, it doesnt. not one bit.
good luck!

Sure does...read my last reply, do the same....then reply with actual fact. Leave the opinions for another post!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:27 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Blitto the Maf isn't connected to the trans. It's connected to the PCM. But if the fuel mixture is all "F"U" By a bad MAF then you can say my trans really sucks if you want to. It's ok by me. I mean it's your MAF and you can do what you want with your foot to the metal. Just kidden. LOL
Old 02-09-2012, 10:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry man, but everybody is right. The MAF has absolutely no bearing on trans performance. The transmission only transfers torque from the engine to the wheels. Plain and simple. The MAF sensor would, however, greatly influence engine performance. A lot of people do mistake engine power problems for transmission problems. Not saying you don't have one, just take a look at engine performance before you condemn the tranny. On the other hand, just take it back to the shop that did the rebuild and voice your concerns. Nobody's perfect, so they could have botched a seal somewhere in there.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by outbacktaz; 02-13-2012 at 02:12 AM.

Quick Reply: MAF