Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

License Plate Light Socket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License Plate Light Socket Replacement

Hello,
I recently purchased a 2004 F150 XLT and I noticed that the license plate lights were out. Went to replace them and the sockets are completely corroaded and I need to get new sockets. Ive tried to see if I can just unplug the sockets but i couldn't. Also couldn't find any videos on how to replace them. Just don't want to force anything. Plus I didn't want to snip and solder if I don't have to.
I've attached some photos, can anyone help me figure out how to replace these?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails License Plate Light Socket Replacement-img_6717.jpg   License Plate Light Socket Replacement-img_6718.jpg   License Plate Light Socket Replacement-img_6719.jpg  
Old 06-02-2017, 07:54 AM

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

You get this fixed? You should be able to use a screwdriver to lift the tab and remove the socket. New one runs $8.50 at Rock. I'm researching for problem with a Fusion. Likely same problem.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:54 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Looks like it's broken. Give the socket a 1/4 turn, and it should just popout. I recently broke one the same as you, went on Amazon and found an OEM one for around $20. Ya, I know, more than Rock Auto, Auto Zone, and Advance, but it is a Ford OEM part, worth it to me.
I've seen Dorman replacements for around $7.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:09 PM

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

I prefer OEM and I'm not sold on Rock but they have parts I need for another ride that requires things I can't get locally.

Fusion update.

Daughter is out-of-state student and was stopped by officer and given warning. She reported that bulbs were blown and purchased replacements installed by parts store guy. No lights. Fuse good.

I did research before going in but was prepared to run alternative power source.

Peeled the trim cover from the trunk lid. Surprise. Lights were unplugged. Simple fix but how long has that been not working? I'm hoping that wasn't a lazy workaround for fuse-blowing problem or worse.

Car's a 2008, 15x,xxx miles, several owners according to Carfax. Most recent selling dealer said car passed safety inspection. I wasn't consulted for the purchase so caveat emptor on the buyer but she had better training.