Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Key must be on for 45-60 seconds before start

Old 06-04-2017, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key must be on for 45-60 seconds before start

Hello all. I've got an issue with my 1990 f150. After leaving my truck off for an hour or so, I have to have the key in the on posotion for sometimes up to a minute before it will start. It will turnover just fine, but nothing happens until the fuel pump stops running, then it fires right up. So, to start it, I just turn the key to the on position and wait until I hear the fuel pump stop and she fires right up. If i have the truck off for only a few minutes, it starts fine, but after an hour, I have to go through the "turn the key on for a minute" routine. This is also intermittent. Sometimes it's as if there is no issue and I turn the key to on and the fuel pump runs for 5 seconds and it starts just fine.
Any Ideas?

Thank you all for your help.

Keith
Old 06-04-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

Replace the fuel pump. Sounds like the check valve is bad so you have to prime the system every time. If you put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail, you should be able to verify the above.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to pick up a gauge tomorrow. The only thing that makes me think it may not be the fuel pump is that I have 2 tanks and both started doing the same thing at the same time. Is there a check valve outside the tanks?

Search this Thread