Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Idler Arm

Old 03-21-2019, 10:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Idler Arm

Replaced the idler arm on my 99 4.6l 4x4.... Now the RH passenger wheel looks and drives outta whack. Have to turn the steering wheel to the 10 o'clock position to drive straight. Had just done a complete front suspension replacement yesterday (before the idler arm) and had no issue. My dumb self thought I would go the extra mile and throw the idler arm (NOT Pittman arm) in today because it came in the kit.
I did not loosen or remove anything else while doing the idler, and assume this is where I went wrong, since the workshop manual states to loosen the drag sector and remove Pittman arm's castle nut.

I am bringing it in for an alignment tommorrow anyway because of the suspension work.... However, the interweb's making me believe an alignment shop WON'T correct the shift in the idler arm.....

Please tell me I'm wrong and that the alignment will take care of this... That swap was by far the worst I have ever done. I hate upside down work.😣
Old 03-22-2019, 08:57 AM

Received 769 Likes on 607 Posts

A good front end shop will make sure the steering wheel is straight when they do an alignment.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Adjusted my tie rods until my alignment appointment on Tuesday. However, I have some nasty shimmy now when I hit any bumps or drive on gravel.. Is that just because I haven't had the alignment yet or is my new idler arm junk? Im loosing my hair...😔
Old 03-23-2019, 07:05 AM

Received 769 Likes on 607 Posts

I actually wouldn't drive it too much until the shop checks everything out just to be safe. If there are any worn parts they will have to be replaced before the shop can do the alignment anyway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Idler Arm