Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Help Needed - VIDEO - Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loud Vacuum Pump Issues

Brand new to forum. Just purchased my 2012 fx4 3.5 ecoboost a few weeks back. It has been in the shop for most of that time fixing a few items that popped up immediately after my purchase unfortunately.

Ball joints, brakes, calipers, e-brake cable, ac compressor, belts, plugs, ignition coils, etc.

However, a new noise popped up when I got it back from the shop. No clue what it is. It happens immediately after cold start, then immediately after being put in gear. Turn truck off then back on after driving does it again. (tested on my way to work this morning) Suuuper frustrating. Just spent money to fix a bunch of stuff and now a new one to look at. Sounds like a small motor/fan turning on and then goes away about 5 seconds later. It is moderately loud and definitely not normal.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I just want this truck to run solid and has been nothing but problems so far.

Link to video -- https://vimeo.com/user92403488/revie...168/740442d1d0

Last edited by Beej-cross; 12-07-2018 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Title change
Old 12-03-2018, 01:38 PM

Default Update**

Took it back to the shop that fixed it today. We pinpointed it to the vacuum pump just in front of the driver's front wheel that is making the noise. Dropping it off Thursday to have them take an in depth look. Will keep posted in case anyone else runs across this.

Last edited by Beej-cross; 12-04-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:46 AM

Update if anyone can find useful or offer any advice. Replaced the vacuum pump yesterday. Noise definitely quieter, but still there. Is this just a noise that F-150's make? Or could there be a possible vacuum leak somewhere?
Old 12-07-2018, 04:33 PM

Default Vacuum pump issues

So we have definitely narrowed down the noise to the vacuum pump. I bought a new one, replaced it, and it’s def. better but still seems loud to me. Does anyone think this may be caused by a vacuum issue when all 4 rotors, pads, and calipers were replaced? Or is this just a noise that f150’s make. Does anyone else hear their vacuum pump charging up when they do a cold start, out it in D, and start moving? It happens every time for me and I put it in park and get out to see how loud it actually is. Is this a normal noise?

Quick Reply: Help Needed - VIDEO - Engine noise