Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

HELP- 2015 Ford F-150 BATTERY

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP- 2015 Ford F-150 BATTERY

Hi Everyone,
My husband and I just bought a new-to-us 2015 Ford F-150 w/ 17,000 miles on it. Got a great deal...wondering if our current issue is WHY we got the great deal. Picked the truck up last Wednesday, everything seemed fine. By Friday morning, it was DEAD in our garage. The dealership (non-Ford) advertised it as having a NEW battery installed! So.....why is it dead already? My husband was able to jump it and take it to our local Ford dealership, as we do have a warranty. The Ford dealership has narrowed it down to the fact that the non-Ford dealership put the wrong type of battery in it. Is this possible? Additionally, due to the incorrect battery being installed, our warranty won't cover the cost of the new battery. Our truck is still at the Ford dealership as they want to keep running tests to make sure that was the issue. Has anyone heard of this? The non-Ford dealership is less than helpful and is pretty much telling us "tough ".
With all of that being said......why would a new battery need to be installed on a truck with only 17,000 miles to begin with?!?!?!? Thoughts on that one??? Carfax report is squeaky clean. I know that won't take into account some privately fixing a vehicle.
Additionally, the non-Ford dealership only gave us ONE key. My husband question that, they said that was all that they had. As our luck continues...it's a My Key! And of course, our key is NOT the Administrator Key. Therefore, we are limited with what we can do with our own vehicle. The non-Ford dealership states that didn't know that it was a My Key, and that we should just be able to reset the key. Ford dealership is telling us that we need the Admin Key. Non-Ford once again is telling us "tough ".
Any thoughts, suggestions, comments are appreciated. We spent 6 months researching trucks and what would work best for our family. At this point, we are beyond frustrated. Thanks!!!
Old 08-15-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Did you pull a Carfax report on it? (If I understand correctly, Carfax will only indicate issues if there was an insurance claim on it.)

Did you look closely on the inside of the hood and door jambs for overspray that might indicate it had been in an accident?

Your hindsight is spot-on. You got a great deal for a reason. I hope you get out of this without a great deal of expense but you might want to hunker down - this might be a rough ride.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:49 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

1st yes it is possible that the wrong battery was installed. If by chance you bought a 2.7 EB your truck came with an AGM battery not a flooded cell which is much cheaper.
2nd the 2015 has a very sophisticated battery monitoring and charge control system, and this system needs to be reset when a new or different battery is installed. This system is part of the BCM modual and should be reset by Ford IDS scan tool. This apply's regardless of battery type.
3rd you could have a defective alternator or excessive parasitic draw which should be covered under 3/36 warranty
Just because a battery went dead [discharged] doe's not mean the battery is bad.

Last edited by bubbabud; 08-15-2017 at 10:52 AM.