Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Heater core replacement advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater core replacement advice

Apologies if this has been asked before, I didn't see anything in a forum search.

I need to replace the heater core in my 02 5.4 V8. I have a chilton manual which says the AC must be discharged as a first step, but elsewhere online I've seen DIYs that don't mention this.

Is it necessary to discharge the AC system? I am looking to avoid shelling out money for something unnecessary.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:43 AM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 697 Likes on 504 Posts

I had to do one on my sister's Durango quite a while back. Since it was not a customer car I did this - yeah, probably not the right way but it worked and save the same cost you're looking at.
Instead of discharging the system and pulling it all apart I cut the heater box so I could hinge open the top where the heater core was and slide it out. Once I put the new one back in I used silicone to seal it up and also put a little extra insulating foam over the silicone. It worked.

Again, if someone were paying for the job I would have pulled it out and done it 'the right way'.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by c_uag
Apologies if this has been asked before, I didn't see anything in a forum search.

I need to replace the heater core in my 02 5.4 V8. I have a chilton manual which says the AC must be discharged as a first step, but elsewhere online I've seen DIYs that don't mention this.

Is it necessary to discharge the AC system? I am looking to avoid shelling out money for something unnecessary.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks both of you.

For posterity's sake should anyone ask this in the future, it was not necessary to discharge the AC, and it wasn't necessary to cut the AC/heater core housing box either. Just avoid pulling the vacuum line and it should work fine.

Quick Reply: Heater core replacement advice