Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Fuel Gauge Problems

Old 12-29-2013, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge Problems

Hello, I have an 04 f150 xlt and my Fuel gauge is giving me wrong readings and changes rapidly as i drive down the road (it will often go from reading 1/2 a tank for a few minutes to dropping down to 1/4 tank within a second and staying that way for a few more minutes before rising back up to half a tank or sometimes a full tank.) I have found other threads with fuel gauge problems saying it could be the sending unit but i was wondering if it could be something else. I dont know if this may contribute to the problem but I have noticed that when i start up the truck, the Fuel gauge doesn't give me an instant reading but instead takes about 6-7 second before the needle moves. I have also noticed that when i leave my door open and start up the truck, the needle wont move on the Fuel gauge until the "door Ajar" chime starts but all of my other gauges are instant with readings when I start it. Does anyone know what could be the problem?
Old 12-31-2013, 11:11 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

It's possible the plug on the plastic gauge circuit board is loose. Depending on the use of the truck, over the years it could even have gotten dirty. If you remove the lower plastic panel under the steering wheel column, you can reach up behind the gauges and and try to wiggle and press it back into place. The worst case you would need to remove the gauge panel completely and have it cleaned and tested. The sender however is a part of the fuel pump assembly and is in the fuel tank .Service or replacement will require removal of the gas tank to get to it.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Marc D
It's possible the plug on the plastic gauge circuit board is loose. Depending on the use of the truck, over the years it could even have gotten dirty. If you remove the lower plastic panel under the steering wheel column, you can reach up behind the gauges and and try to wiggle and press it back into place. The worst case you would need to remove the gauge panel completely and have it cleaned and tested. The sender however is a part of the fuel pump assembly and is in the fuel tank .Service or replacement will require removal of the gas tank to get to it.
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely give it a shot. I'm hoping its the gauge and not the sending unit.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:11 PM
Little Whitey

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the sending unit is on the rear cross member behind the spare tire. If that is the sending unit its just 2 bolts I believe. Paid a bit over 100 bucks for it and 30 mins of my time. Atleast I believe that is the sending unit. If not someone please correct me. I do know it has to do with the fuel system.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by nrd10
I believe the sending unit is on the rear cross member behind the spare tire. If that is the sending unit its just 2 bolts I believe. Paid a bit over 100 bucks for it and 30 mins of my time. Atleast I believe that is the sending unit. If not someone please correct me. I do know it has to do with the fuel system.
That's the fuel pump module. Mines looking a little corroded but still working fine. The sending unit is in the tank itself and is attached to the fuel pump if I am not mistaken.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:29 PM
Little Whitey

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's correct. I knew that thing back there had something to do with the fuel system. Just couldn't remember what it was called. Sorry for the bad info.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by nrd10
That's correct. I knew that thing back there had something to do with the fuel system. Just couldn't remember what it was called. Sorry for the bad info.
Hey no problem, all input is welcome with me!
Old 01-14-2014, 03:10 PM

Did you figure out what was wrong with it?
Old 01-16-2014, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by bamstein10
Did you figure out what was wrong with it?
No, still haven't. I looked into the cluster and the plugs were making good connection so I left it at that. Don't have much to spend on it figuring out what it is so at the moment I am just calculating my miles everytime I drive it. Kind of a pain but it is improving my math skills! Haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Problems