Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Code p0012

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code p0012

my truck has a ticking noise and it's constant I have to check engine light is on and it is reading code p0012 of the variable camshaft timing solenoid on retarded Bank 1 I have replaced Bank 1 and bank 2 I have also replace the sensors all three of them but the code p0012 keeps coming back up everytime I clear the coat I've got a recent oil change also help please
Old 07-02-2019, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,145 Likes on 2,842 Posts

Originally Posted by Taz Vincent
my truck has a ticking noise and it's constant I have to check engine light is on and it is reading code p0012 of the variable camshaft timing solenoid on retarded Bank 1 I have replaced Bank 1 and bank 2 I have also replace the sensors all three of them but the code p0012 keeps coming back up everytime I clear the coat I've got a recent oil change also help please
well what do you drive? Ford? Chevy? Toyota?
The following users liked this post:
JoeinGa (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 05:15 PM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

Studebaker? We ask because we can't see it from our house.
The following users liked this post:
JoeinGa (07-02-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna guess that since you are on the f150 forums that the vehicle you are asking about is a f150. Most likely a 5.4l 3v triton motor.
Funny thing is my truck recently did this. There is a few things that can cause that code. But from my truck it is seeming to be the cam phaser. Mine was saying it was retarded.
So bought the new cam phaser. Had my timing jump while changing it, removed both valve covers now and found a rocker arm and lash adjuster has been destroyed long before I owned the truck. Main reason it was never noticed is because it is on the intake side. On the 3 valve motor, there are 3 valves per cylinder. One is exhaust, the other 2 are intake. If it is an exhaust rocker causing the issue you would have much much bigger problems. But the intake side you would notice lack of power, bad fuel mileage, a tapping or ticking sound, and ultimately possible engine failure. Like the big bang but under the hood. And nothing new is made. It's just all destroyed.
Depending On your skill level it is possible to do the job at home. And by yourself if that's the case. Main thing is to get the valve covers off and the timing cover off and do a thorough inspection of the timing and camshaft components. By the time you have all this apart you may as well look st replacing both cam phasers, vvt solenoids, inspecting the rocker arms and lash adjusters, at the least changing the chain tensioners and if it hasn't been upgraded yet changing the oil pump with a melling brand.
It may be some money up front but is the best option so you don't have to pull all that crap off again next week.
I've heard of some people replacing just one rocker arm or whatever that is needed but the new style ford OEM rocker arms have smaller ports for oil flow, which in turn helps with oil pressure. Since these motors are oil pressure hogs apparently.

I am in no way a professional mechanic on vehicles but if there's somewhere I can help just let me know.

Quick Reply: Code p0012