Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

At what age or mileage should I start looking at replacing bushings

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At what age or mileage should I start looking at replacing bushings

Hey guys,
I'm a new owner of an older truck. It's an '04 Lariat SuperCrew that I sort of "inherited" when my Dad passed away. It has 166K miles on it now, and after having just driven it 1900 miles across country in 2 days, one thing I notice is that the front end just feels "loose", which I sort of expect from a 15 year old truck. I'm curious though if it's a good idea to start looking at replacing bushings or other components in the suspension/steering to get back to that "new truck" feeling. KnowWhatIMean?
Old 06-24-2019, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,141 Likes on 2,840 Posts

Originally Posted by kcobean
Hey guys,
I'm a new owner of an older truck. It's an '04 Lariat SuperCrew that I sort of "inherited" when my Dad passed away. It has 166K miles on it now, and after having just driven it 1900 miles across country in 2 days, one thing I notice is that the front end just feels "loose", which I sort of expect from a 15 year old truck. I'm curious though if it's a good idea to start looking at replacing bushings or other components in the suspension/steering to get back to that "new truck" feeling. KnowWhatIMean?
i would check ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links. just normal stuff like that. Unless the bushings are cracked i wouldn't worry too much about it
The following users liked this post:
kcobean (06-24-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 07:38 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Follow the maintenance schedule. When the tires are rotated (especially if they HAVEN'T been for many miles), or before an alignment, they can be checked for signs of worn suspension components:

(phone app link)

When they're worn out, I recommend black Energy polyurethane:
https://www.energysuspensionparts.co...cri=8,1&filter
The following users liked this post:
kcobean (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Dad was absolutely religious with routine maintenance items like oil changes and tire rotations. Plugs were changed around 60k and the paperwork says 3 broke and had to be extracted.

I’ll definitely look into the poly bushings. I want to keep this thing running for as long as possible, it’s one of the few things my Dad owned.

Originally Posted by Steve83
Follow the maintenance schedule. When the tires are rotated (especially if they HAVEN'T been for many miles), or before an alignment, they can be checked for signs of worn suspension components:

(phone app link)

When they're worn out, I recommend black Energy polyurethane:
https://www.energysuspensionparts.co...cri=8,1&filter
Old 07-07-2019, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shocks ??

Quick Reply: At what age or mileage should I start looking at replacing bushings