Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Changing out the mirror glass only

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 07:57 PM

Received 478 Likes on 293 Posts

Default Changing out the mirror glass only

So my driver's side mirror is/was not heating. I had tried to change one out on my daughter's 2004 and busted everything and bought an entire mirror unit.

So anyway I ordered a knockoff heated mirror glass for when I break the original. Lots of vidoes on the webs showing how simple it isn't to get up in there and release the tabs that hold it on the center motor assy. No one really shows how to release the tabs the shazzam the mirror is ready to go it, I assume not one can pull the tabs without busting ****.

So with lots of surfing I found pictures to I could identify the tabs to pull on to release mirror, but they are hella strong and I planned on just cutting busting the old mirror glass apart till I can get in there and unleash the tabs.

Then while poking I found a wire broken off a terminal so element in the glass is probably ok, I would not like a non destructive way to get the OEM glass out unbroken so I can fix the wire and send the one back I bought for refund.

Is there a successful way to get the glass off?
Old 04-02-2022, 06:46 PM

Received 189 Likes on 125 Posts

On my 2017 I powered the mirror all the way towards the window, canting it inward. Then you can look between the mirror housing and the edge of the mirror and see a spot to stick a flat blade screwdriver. I believe I just turned the screwdriver and it popped off.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:57 PM

Received 132 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes. As Dennis says. Most mirror glass is mounted in a ball-and-socket arrangement that pops apart/together. Wait for a warm day though. If you screw up:
https://mirrorglassplus.com

Old 04-21-2022, 08:20 PM

Received 478 Likes on 293 Posts

Ok so it finally warmed up a bit, I was able to pop the mirror glas out, only to find some shyster had put the wrong glass in with a combination of a broken wire and a 4 pin connector rather than the two small push on lugs my truck was wired for. So at some time the mirror glass failed and they put anything in that would fit from a junk pile if it worked electrically or not.

All is good now.

Quick Reply: Changing out the mirror glass only