Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

CHANGING OIL FILTER 5.0L AND a MESS

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHANGING OIL FILTER 5.0L AND a MESS

5.0L year 2012-14

Surely there is a CLEAN way of changing oil filters....but I searched and no tips or tricks.

Piercing the front lower area of the filter and letting it drain for a few minutes then sliding a small made up tray under the old filter and between the filter and OEM tray......(there is NO ROOM under the O.E. drip tray that is just above the crossmember), still, there is , when unscrewing the filter, a cup of oil all over the OE tray and this oil runs down the front and rear of the crossmember and makes a hell of a mess......

Cleaning up the oil takes a while.....short of getting the truck vertical with nose down, I can't see another way.
ANYONE WANT TO COMMENT OR HAVE A FIX?????????
Old 09-17-2013, 06:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by usernamenotvalid
5.0L year 2012-14

Surely there is a CLEAN way of changing oil filters....but I searched and no tips or tricks.

Piercing the front lower area of the filter and letting it drain for a few minutes then sliding a small made up tray under the old filter and between the filter and OEM tray......(there is NO ROOM under the O.E. drip tray that is just above the crossmember), still, there is , when unscrewing the filter, a cup of oil all over the OE tray and this oil runs down the front and rear of the crossmember and makes a hell of a mess......

Cleaning up the oil takes a while.....short of getting the truck vertical with nose down, I can't see another way.
ANYONE WANT TO COMMENT OR HAVE A FIX?????????
Put a tray forward and aft.

Pour some water in the tray to see where it's going to come out.

I'd rather clean the tray than get the crossmember all junked up.

They're all a pita.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know where the front and rear spouts are on the OE tray.......but still it runs over ...like you say..... They're all a pita.

Maybe there isn't a fix......
Old 11-11-2013, 01:30 PM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah found this out yesterday changing my oil for the first time in my '13. Expected it to all come out the front and all of a sudden I have a 1/4 quart of oil on the garage floor..... FML!!!!

Anyone found an easy fix for this yet?
Old 11-11-2013, 02:36 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

My FX2 5.0L has a funnel type thingy. I normally stuff it full with shop rags, drain oil until nothing comes out, remove filter, wipe block down making sure ORing isn't there. Put my finger in a clean oil bottle, lube new ORing and install new filter, remove all oil soaked rags, wipe down area and top off with oil.

I also put a old piece of plywood under the truck while doing the change to stop from staining my carport if any does drip.

Wayne
Old 11-11-2013, 02:44 PM

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts

I used to have the perfect drain pan that was long enough to catch the front and rear of the tray on my 05, but my uncle took it and got messed up. Need an aftermarket company to make a better tray.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:05 PM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Or car manufacturers can put the filter so that it doesn't pour out onto other components before it reaches the catch pan. I swear these people that design vehicles never have to do any of their own maintenance.

At least they helped us out with changing out spark plugs...
Old 11-11-2013, 03:36 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

The key is to remove the filter slowly so you don't overload the OEM tray with oil. You can't just break the oil filter loose and then spin it off because that causes the oil to spill over the edges of the OEM tray. You need to break the filter loose and then turn it slowly, sometimes stopping so the oil has time to drain out before letting more oil out, this will help keep the oil within the confines of the tray. If you do it to fast, that's when you make a mess all over the front end.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:22 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by FordRoushFan
The key is to remove the filter slowly so you don't overload the OEM tray with oil. You can't just break the oil filter loose and then spin it off because that causes the oil to spill over the edges of the OEM tray. You need to break the filter loose and then turn it slowly, sometimes stopping so the oil has time to drain out before letting more oil out, this will help keep the oil within the confines of the tray. If you do it to fast, that's when you make a mess all over the front end.

This^

One could also put some shop rags around it to soak up any overflow.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:23 AM
Truck Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 3.7Ltr has the same issue.

I took the little pan off for a look see, It keeps oil off some heat sinked thing that seems to have something to do with the steering unit, I dunno.

I will get some thin sheet metal and fabricate a pan to set into the factory plastic pan, easy to screw it in to the edges of the plastic pan I think.

I'll bend it with taller sides and a better bottom slope that will make ALL the filter oil
drain forward and not pool up. won't be hard,, there is clearance.....

Quick Reply: CHANGING OIL FILTER 5.0L AND a MESS