Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Bent pulley

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bent pulley

Hey everyone. New to the thread, new to the F-150 family. Got a really good deal on a nice looking truck, so it needs some work. First thing I noticed was that the pully that comes out of the front of the engine is crooked or bent. I'm very inexperienced with engines, and I'm really hoping that this part is not connected all the way into the engine, but is bolted onto something that goes into the engine. Either way, it has to be fixed. How bad is this going to be? Can you guys/gals give me part names that I can start researching? I'm not even sure what to call the parts.

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

can you get us a picture, it would make identifying your part much easier.

and welcome to the site!
Old 03-29-2007, 07:45 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Gotta do it.... First before Super *** comes out. Welcome to the site.

Now We need more info. Are you talking about the pulley on the very bottom, the middle off to one side?? What motor is in it? Is the belt trying to slip off?? Is one of the accesories not in line causing a pull on the Harmonic Balancer??
Old 03-30-2007, 09:27 AM

Default Bent Pulley

Yeah, it's the pulley on the very bottom. That is the one that looks "warped" and is causing the Harmonic Balancer (I'm guessing that's the pulley that can move freely to keep tension on the belt) to move.

I'm not sure which engine this truck has. How can I tell? I'm guessing a smaller V8. Heck, I don't even know if it's the original engine. The truck has 120k on it.

I'll take pictures, and videos, as soon as the weather allows me to climb underneath.

Thanks,
Old 03-30-2007, 04:27 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Skunk
Yeah, it's the pulley on the very bottom. That is the one that looks "warped" and is causing the Harmonic Balancer (I'm guessing that's the pulley that can move freely to keep tension on the belt) to move.

I'm not sure which engine this truck has. How can I tell? I'm guessing a smaller V8. Heck, I don't even know if it's the original engine. The truck has 120k on it.

I'll take pictures, and videos, as soon as the weather allows me to climb underneath.

Thanks,
Take it to a shop before you hurt yourself.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Ty

haha, Im going to have to second that.

if you dont feel comfortable with doing the repair, DON'T DO IT.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:18 AM

Default Bent Pulley

Yeah, I'm definitely going to get a shop to do the work. I've done some work on cars, like brakes, rotors, shocks myself, but I'm not ready for engine stuff.

I just want to get an idea of how bad it could be so that I'm not sticker-shocked when my mechanic looks at the truck, and the dollar signs start spinning in his eyes.

Pictures to come, have the wrong connector today, so tomorrow.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Ty

if you go to the shop, and show us the estamate, we should be able to tell you if that price is reasponable for what the problem is.

Quick Reply: Bent pulley