Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Anyone using Amsoil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using Amsoil?

Just bought my truck, 5.4 w/ 30K miles on it. Is anyone running Amsoil at the suggested 25,000 miles or 1 year change. Is this to good to be true.

Ashmaniac
Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 AM

First oil change, I have just over 2100 miles. I'm changing to Amsoil. I've got Amsoil in every thing I own. Wouldn't use anything else! WEBII
Old 03-23-2010, 01:40 PM

Default Amsoil

I switched to amsoil after trying it on my mom's Honda CRV first. I used to change her oil every 3000 miles and her oil level would be down to right about the middle of the full and low marks (I would fill it right to full to begin with).
After switching her car to AMSOIL, I checked her oil level 7000 miles later and it was right on full. AMSOIL just doesn't seem to burn up. She has now been using it for almost 200,000 miles and goes pretty close to or over 35,000 miles between oil changes and doesn't even change her oil filter in between the changes and her car still runs like new.
I'm not suggesting you go that long. I believe the oil filter is only good for 25,000 miles. I haven't lived near her for a few years or I would change her oil at 15,000 miles like I used to.
Even if you only go 15,000 miles on the oil it's still a good deal.
I change my oil once a year and I usually drive between 12,000 and 15,000 miles and I switched to their 0w-30 35,000 mile oil when it came out.
I have to say though, when I used their 5w-30 I had to add about half a quart per 3000 miles. Since I've been using 0w-30 I add about half a quart per 2000 miles. Maybe it's a little too thin when it's cold, but I live in AZ where it doesn't get very cold.
The 0w-30 is supposed to clean your engine out a little more from what I've heard.
I swithed to their ATF when my Expedition had 6000 miles on it.
When my Expedition was about 2000 miles old I started hearing power steering noise all the time and worse if I turned the steering wheel all the way. I changed out all my power steering fluid to AMSOIL ATF and have never heard a peep out of it since, even when I turn the steering wheel all the way to one side.
I use AMSOIL for all of my fluids and I would never use anything else.
If you are going to switch all of your fluids (don't forget about the differential), make sure you pay $10 for 6 months of the preferred customer program or you are going to spend alot more money paying full price.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashmaniac55
Just bought my truck, 5.4 w/ 30K miles on it. Is anyone running Amsoil at the suggested 25,000 miles or 1 year change. Is this to good to be true.

Ashmaniac
Most likey this is too good to be true. Oil change intervals are based upon driving habits and conditions. The way to properly determine your interval is to have your oil tested for contaminates. I believe Amsoil provides this service for a few bucks. You have to remember your engine oil is not only lubricating your engine but removing contaminates also. Just because you are using synthetic oil does not necessarily mean you can lengthen your change interval by long lengths. Also the Ford 3V motor is very picky when it comes to oil and filters. If you do your homework you will find that the Ford Motorcraft oils are as good if not better then most oils out there.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:00 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Good, But:

Amsoil is a very good lube oil....different base stock molecule than Mobil 1.
Running any oil for long periods of time depletes the additive package and leaves the engine subject to damage from corrosives and particulate matter. Amsoil's additive package, so far as I know, is no more robust than any other good brand of oil, so running beyond 10K between oil changes is asking for trouble.
Of the two oils, Amsoil and Mobil 1, I'll take Mobil 1. NASCAR engine builders are nearly universal in their approval of Mobil 1, and that is a very good testimonial to the quality of the product.
But, each to his own; if one likes Amsoil, use it. I'd just be a bit nervous about some of the service life claims made by its adherents.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:00 PM
crush a little car today

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I put a fluid in my 2002 5.4L it will say Amsoil on the bottle. I've run it for 17,000 miles and over a yr at other times. A used oil analysis shows the oil has a little life left in it but the engine shows that there is no more wear than is to be expected. Got nearly 50k on it and I can bury a 100 psi guage if the oil is under running temp. 40 psi idle hot and 80 psi running around town. 0W20 when it's cold and 5W20 when it's hot in the summer.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:57 PM
www.RVRoadTrip.us

Originally Posted by Kattumaram
NASCAR engine builders are nearly universal in their approval of Mobil 1, and that is a very good testimonial to the quality of the product.
I'd sing their praises if i was paid sponsor money, too.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:04 PM
crush a little car today

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RVRoadTrip
Along with the fact that it sure helps hold the engine together under some very severe racing. We used to hand out gaskets and bearing to different tems then get them back for analysis to see if any improvement was needed. If it lived on the track it would live being sold over the counter.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobygot
I swithed to their ATF when my Expedition had 6000 miles on it.
When my Expedition was about 2000 miles old I started hearing power steering noise all the time and worse if I turned the steering wheel all the way. I changed out all my power steering fluid to AMSOIL ATF and have never heard a peep out of it since, even when I turn the steering wheel all the way to one side.
My power steering groans all the time, especially at full wheel lock. Is it safe to run ATF in the power steering fluid reservoir? because I would love to fix that problem.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default About Geese and Ganders:

Originally Posted by RVRoadTrip
Well, perhaps so. But, Amsoil has the same opportunity as Mobil with the NASCAR guys. I haven't seen anyone sponsored by Amsoil nor do I see the engine builders rushing to secure the supposed superior benefits of Amsoil lubes that they would surely do if any definitive advantage was really there.

Quick Reply: Anyone using Amsoil?