Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

$95.00

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Formerly "ZCHPRO"

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Angry $95.00

Does that sound reasonable for just a diagnostic? Just curious, seems like highway robbery to me and coming from someone who has a very limited income I really prefer to save money, however the cheaper shop is about 7 miles further and i didn't think the truck would make it that far. I'm convinced its the MAF sensor thats screwed up but don't want to shell out 140 for something i don't need, but at the same time i could've practically bought one for what I'm paying them to probably tell me was actually the problem. So yeah thats my day today, just looking for input on what you guys have payed for diagnostics before. We've used this mechanic before and he's been great but it seems like I'm getting screwed up the ***** with a monkey wrench and that these guys might be slightly overpaid for something that seems so simple. I can't do it simply because I'm a novice and don't have the equipment to do it.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can scan your own codes using your computer. It can pick up all of the obdc II codes with a FREE piece of software. Check out my thread about cheap obdc scanners in general. That might help you a little bit towards the $95 diagnostics. There will be some things it cannot do, but for general code scanning you can't beat free (assuming you already have a laptop).
Old 09-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Formerly "ZCHPRO"

thanks for the info. I did already know that but they're charging the 95 to tell me exactly what the problem is since i have no way of knowing for sure with just the scanning software.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:55 PM
poopin.....on this thread

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

just take it to autozone or your local nationwide store like that and they should be able to let you use their scanner to pull your codes and then you can come here and check it against the codes you have up.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:06 PM

Default diagnostic

idk how it is there boss and i dont have a clue but it shouldnt take long to hook it up but ive been going to the same dealership for over a year now and the labor rate is 80.00 and hour now it shouldnt take over and hour to run it i thought i had some problems a while back hell they hooked it up and even test drove it to make sure and did it in a ............. half and hour. and u know if your a repeat customer they should give you a break bc i dont think it takes that much effort on thier part to hook it up and run it. is your truck still under waranty?
Old 09-21-2010, 12:13 AM
Formerly "ZCHPRO"

its not under warranty, 109,000 miles
the thing about the codes is like i said, i already got them but symptoms of the truck are pointing to other stuff like the MAF, which is why it has to be "diagnosed" in order for them to tell me exactly what is wrong
Old 09-21-2010, 12:15 AM

Have you tried to clean the MAF sensor. Auto Zone has a spray cleaner for under $10.00 pretty easy to do. Follow the directions on the can...if that does not do the trick and you need the diagnostic ask the shop to put the $95.00 toward the repair if you have the work done at their shop. good luck!
Old 09-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Formerly "ZCHPRO"

already cleaned it and shop said it can't go towards the repair, first one so far that wouldn't do it. Kinda pissed but mostly hoping that it just is the maf or a cam sensor and nothing else
Old 09-21-2010, 09:36 AM
poopin.....on this thread

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Id find another dealer to start taking it too. Thats what i did.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:25 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

$80 or $90 at local dealer here. Last September I bought my daughter a '01 zx2 with 78,000 on it. about two weeks and engine light on. Auto-zone trip to tell me IAC and something else as possible causes.
Took to dealer and told them but they said they would have to run their own and it would be $80 or so and I was hot.
Talked to salesmen and manager and ended up getting it all for nothing. Of course I usually buy cars and trucks from them every two to three years.
It is definitely highway robbery in my opinion though.

Quick Reply: $95.00