Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

4R70W EPC Solenoid Open

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4R70W EPC Solenoid Open

I have a 97 f150 V8 120K with a transmission code of saying the EPC Solenoid circuit is open. Its shifts hard through 1st and 2nd but otherwise drives fine. I've changed the filter, and all the solenoids on the valve body, without any results. Brought it to a shop and they say it needs to be rebuilt. Reason: it has a broken band and valve body needs to be replaced. (I believe they just drove it around the block to come to this diaganos) Just wanted a second opinion. Could it be the computer thats bad causing the transmission to shift at the wrong time and be nothing wrong with the transmission at all? If the belt was broke wouldn't it not run in reverse or at all?

Thank You in advance.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Might be Less:

A hard 1-2 shift may be due to a broken spring in the 1-2 accumulator. It's an easy fix. I'd have the tranny checked out by a known honest shop before making any determination on what needs repair, if anything.

If you're within striking distance of Daytona Beach, Florida, stop by Stan's Transmission for top-drawer treatment.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:51 PM
2000 F150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EPC solenoid

P-Dog what was the solution to your EPC solenoid problem?
My 2000 F150 showed a code P1746. The shop just replaced the EPC solenoid but the problem remains. It is shifting hard from 1st to 2nd.
They say it must be a problem with a wiring harness or the computer.

Quick Reply: 4R70W EPC Solenoid Open