Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

4.9 1996 F150 Runs great! Until I cut it off....

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 11:29 AM
96150ldBlue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.9 1996 F150 Runs great! Until I cut it off....

So I inherited a 1996 F150 from my dad when he passed away a few years back. It is a big 4x4 long bed with duel fuel tanks and a 4.9l I6 engine.
have read countless forums and issues dealing with no fuel situations but this one is different. Background on what I've done already. I had a no spark issue before I got it running by replacing the two main culprits for that(ICM, and distributor). Now I am running into a fuel issue. Replaced the fuel filter. Tested fuel pressure. 50psi at idle and doesn't leak down when cut off. Before start up can be 56psi after pump primes.

The issue.... Starts fine when cold. Warm it up to normal temp and cut it off.... It will not start back unless I pour gas into the intake. Still has pressure on fuel rail but no fuel is getting to the cylinder. What will make the injectors not pulse when the truck warms up? Any help is appreciated. It does have a catalytic converter code and a exhaust manifold gasket leak.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:00 AM
96150ldBlue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New development. If I unplug the temp sensor and the truck will start with throttle. If the temp sensor is plugged in and the truck is warm it wont start.

Quick Reply: 4.9 1996 F150 Runs great! Until I cut it off....