Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2018 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost Engine Oil Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 11:07 AM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Default 2018 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost Engine Oil Capacity

I know this subject has been discussed but I can't find it.

My owners manual has a picture of the dipstick. The Owners Manual specifies 6 quarts but my copy of the service ticket states that the service department only put 5 quarts in. There's a MAX mark and a MIN mark at each end of the hash marks on the dipstick. Is it reasonable to assume the oil level should be on or near the MAX mark when the engine is cold? I just had my oil changed at the dealer two days ago. My truck has been sitting for about 6 hours and the oil level on the dipstick is on about 1/3 of the hash marks just above the MIN mark. That isn't right is it?

UPDATE - 05/23/18
The service manager told be this morning that immediately after and oil and filter change the oil level should be ANYWHERE between the MIN and MAX lines. The owners manual doesn't clarify that except to say 2018 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost engine requires 6 quarts of oil. The service guy that changes the oil uses bulk oil and a nozzle that is supposed to be pre-set by the parts department for the specified amount of oil when the engine is identified. He is supposed to check the oil level on the dipstick when finished and make sure the oil level is somewhere between the two (2) marks.

This is the service department guidelines.

They may be doing it correctly but I see too much of and opportunity for error. Especially where the factory specifies 6 quarts.

What is you guys take on this?
Old 05-24-2018, 12:14 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

This & the NEXT are the most-recent clarifications I know of on this subject:

(phone app link)

If you don't already have it in digital form, download your owner's manual:
http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Open it in Acrobat, hit CTRL+F (Find), and type in something like "oil level". Read each hit until you find something relevant.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:53 PM
Okie Coupe

Originally Posted by Steve83
This & the NEXT are the most-recent clarifications I know of on this subject:

(phone app link)

If you don't already have it in digital form, download your owner's manual:
http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Open it in Acrobat, hit CTRL+F (Find), and type in something like "oil level". Read each hit until you find something relevant.
That's great information but it doesn't apply to the later models. I've already got a PDF copy saved of the 2018 F-150 Owners Manual. I don't know why this has become an issue. Back in the day checking the oil level on dipstick was very easy.

Thank's for the input.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:57 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

As long as the level is between the minimum and maximum marks when cold, you are good.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:04 PM
Okie Coupe

Originally Posted by BCMIF150
As long as the level is between the minimum and maximum marks when cold, you are good.
You may not have read my post completely. I'm not concerned with what is a safe or not level of oil indicated on the dipstick. My concern is, where the oil level should be on the dipstick immediately after an oil change and why the service department chooses to put in a different amount of oil than what the factory recommendation in the owners manual states.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:19 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

I did read your post completely. The oil level should be between the minimum and maximum marks before an oil change, right after an oil change and 10,000 miles after an oil change. As long as they put enough in to have it at the proper operating level, it really doesn't matter.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:31 PM
Okie Coupe

Originally Posted by BCMIF150
I did read your post completely. The oil level should be between the minimum and maximum marks before an oil change, right after an oil change and 10,000 miles after an oil change. As long as they put enough in to have it at the proper operating level, it really doesn't matter.
Your saying that it really doesn't matter that they don't follow the factory owners manual engine oil capacity specifications? That's a first if that's what you saying. Basically then the MAX line shouldn't even be there if they are always going to put one less quart than what the factory recomends. I'm sorry but I'm having a problem processing this.

Thanks,
Old 05-24-2018, 03:36 PM
Vegas

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

6 quart capacity is with a bone dry engine/oil pan/filter. They use bulk to save money and to ensure contaminate free oil for customers vehicles. They replenish engine oil to engineering determined safe operating specifications as marked on the dipstick as MIN-MAX Levels. They replenish from bulk drums with a gauge more accurate than the dipstick again to save money and ensure no overfilling as well as time savings. The MAX does matter because you would never want to operate your engine above that line on a regular basis because it can cause engine damage.
I could continue!

Last edited by jlundy; 05-25-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:22 AM
Okie Coupe

What it boils down to I think is the service employee that does to oil changes has been instructed not to wait until the oil completely drained. The other consideration is that by them not waiting for it to drain enough and then put in what the Owners Manual states (6 quarts), then the oil level could end up over the MAX line and could cause a problem. To prevent customers complaining about the oil level being over the MAX mark, someone decide as long as the level is between the lines the engine would be safe to operate.

In my particular case I had also requested to have my tires rotated which would have been enough time for the oil to completely drain. Unfortunately that probably doesn't fall under the service department guidelines.

I've been changing and having my engine oil changed for many years and this is the first I've ever heard anyone recommend that the Owners Manual specification should be ignored and a general practice of not waiting for the oil to drain enough.

No offense or insults are intended in any of my comments.

Last edited by shortride; 05-25-2018 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:09 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Yes, both of those TSBs apply to later vehicles, if you read the details.

If you think the dealership isn't doing what you're paying them to do, or doing what Ford requires them to do, complain to the dealership or to Ford national CS. You have a document showing what they say they did. Or go to a different shop for service. Or DIY.

But if the dipstick show there's sufficient oil in the engine, you probably won't get much sympathy or action.

It's very difficult to rotate FS truck tires while oil is draining. Have you ever tried it? What kind of lift does the dealership use for oil changes? 4-post, 2-post, or pit?

Quick Reply: 2018 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost Engine Oil Capacity