Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2014 3.5 Ecoboost Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2014 3.5 Ecoboost Timing Chain

I had my truck in today due to a check engine light. Codes P0172, P0016 and P0299 are showing up. I am not sure if this had anything related to the humm issue I had early on in the truck life or not but I noticed some rough idle and loss of power sometimes last year but never threw a code. Now I have 68,800 miles on my truck and it throws a code the dealer says no longer under warranty for powertrain. How can there be timing belt stretch at only 68 k prob 50k when started? I have only towed maybe 2,500 miles total. The dealer wants $2200 to fix this and the phasers. I feel this should be covered since it causes emissions codes plus there is obviously an issue since there is a TSB for this very issue. Why isn’t this covered for at least 100k? The dealership told me they are seeing a TON of these with the eco boost engine. Now they use two timing chains to help with this issue on the new 3.5? Love my ford but this is a hard pill to swallow on a truck with less than a 100k miles. Anyone else have this issue right after out of powertrain warranty? Is this just the first issue of many to come with the ecoboost?
Old 06-13-2019, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitching105
I had my truck in today due to a check engine light. Codes P0172, P0016 and P0299 are showing up. I am not sure if this had anything related to the humm issue I had early on in the truck life or not but I noticed some rough idle and loss of power sometimes last year but never threw a code. Now I have 68,800 miles on my truck and it throws a code the dealer says no longer under warranty for powertrain. How can there be timing belt stretch at only 68 k prob 50k when started? I have only towed maybe 2,500 miles total. The dealer wants $2200 to fix this and the phasers. I feel this should be covered since it causes emissions codes plus there is obviously an issue since there is a TSB for this very issue. Why isn’t this covered for at least 100k? The dealership told me they are seeing a TON of these with the eco boost engine. Now they use two timing chains to help with this issue on the new 3.5? Love my ford but this is a hard pill to swallow on a truck with less than a 100k miles. Anyone else have this issue right after out of powertrain warranty? Is this just the first issue of many to come with the ecoboost?
Nope only covered under factory powertrain, a TSB does not extend warranty coverage.. do you have a good relationship with your dealer? They might be able to ask for some customer loyalty assistance from ford

The causal part listed on the TSB is for the timing chain and that is only covered under 5/60
Old 06-13-2019, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djfllmn
Nope only covered under factory powertrain, a TSB does not extend warranty coverage.. do you have a good relationship with your dealer? They might be able to ask for some customer loyalty assistance from ford

The causal part listed on the TSB is for the timing chain and that is only covered under 5/60
Thank you for the recommendation. I will see if my dealer can help me at all. When I talked to them yesterday they made it sound like there was nothing they can do though.

Quick Reply: 2014 3.5 Ecoboost Timing Chain