Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2012 F150 ear piercing brake squeal!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 09:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2012 F150 ear piercing brake squeal!!!

Alright fellas, I'm scratching my head hard on this one. Fairly new pads, and rotors are smooth, no grooves. When I apply light to moderate pressure, my brakes squeal ungodly loud!! And I'm talking loud...to the point where I can't drive with the windows down. Even with the windows up and radio playing, the squeal is noticeable. This happens in all conditions, all times of the day, all temperatures, and doesn't seem to have a pattern, other than it squeals ALL THE TIME!!! The pads look to have been changed fairly recently before I bought it and I've only put about 5k on it. I have pulled the brakes apart several times now, trying to figure out what's going on. I've lubed the sliders, the sliding pins, and put anti-rattle paste on the back of the pads, but still ear piercing squeal. I don't think it's the pad clips considering how loud it is. Would the rotors be causing this? I hate to throw the pads out after only about 5k miles on them. Am I looking at the rotors for a culprit???

Again, literally ear piercing loud!!! Even worse when stopping next to another car or building. I'm talking it hurts your ears!!!
Old 03-11-2020, 09:07 PM

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,704 Posts

Is this a scraping sound? Are the pads in correctly, pad with ears on inner side?
Old 03-11-2020, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by digitaltrucker
Is this a scraping sound? Are the pads in correctly, pad with ears on inner side?
I've done many brake jobs, and they are pretty idiot proof. Thanks for asking, but they are installed correctly. As mentioned, my rotors are smooth as glass. If they were installed backwards, which I don't think is even possible, I don't think you'd be able to even get out of the driveway without nasty grinding noises.

But to answer your question, no, it's a high pitch squeal.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by vtchopperdude
I've done many brake jobs, and they are pretty idiot proof. Thanks for asking, but they are installed correctly. As mentioned, my rotors are smooth as glass. If they were installed backwards, which I don't think is even possible, I don't think you'd be able to even get out of the driveway without nasty grinding noises.

But to answer your question, no, it's a high pitch squeal.
Well, sorry to burst your bubble, but you are wrong. Lots of posts here where folks install the pads wrong, and yes there vehicles still function,but pads and rotors get damaged.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
BlackKnight81 (03-21-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 12:16 AM

Received 1,137 Likes on 820 Posts

One of many many many threads about the dog ears and folks not noticing they put them on backwards. It is possible.

Best you take a look since we can't see your brakes from here. Maybe just a rubbing dust plate, won't know until you take a peek.
The following users liked this post:
digitaltrucker (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 09:03 AM

My intent with the thread was to get opinions based on experience with brake squeal, despite having newer pads AND installing them correctly. Jeez guys, a squeal sounds way different than a grind... The sheer volume of the squeal makes me think rotors, and I wouldn't expect the slide clips to produce that much sound other than a lit squeal. Again, pads installed correctly, and no grooves in the rotor. In fact, I'm stumped because the rotors look to be fairly new also.

Last edited by vtchopperdude; 03-12-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by vtchopperdude
Ok, clearly we got off on the wrong foot, so to alleviate more keyboard warriors from coming out and saying they are the smartest person to ever exist....yes, they are installed correctly.

My intent with the thread was to get opinions based on experience with brake squeal, despite having newer pads AND installing them correctly. Jeez guys, a squeal sounds way different than a grind... The sheer volume of the squeal makes me think rotors, and I wouldn't expect the slide clips to produce that much sound other than a lit squeal. Again, pads installed correctly, and no grooves in the rotor. In fact, I'm stumped because the rotors look to be fairly new also.

There are some after market clips out there that are in-expensive that have a teflon coating, that you could try that would be a little labor to change but cheap.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:30 AM
has left the building

Received 3,379 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Maybe rotors need to be trued. Smooth doesn't mean straight, unless you are using the word "smooth" interchangebally.

Another option is you've got some bit of metal embedded in a pad.

Are you using ceramic pads an have ceramic pads always been used?
Old 03-12-2020, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by digitaltrucker
There are some after market clips out there that are in-expensive that have a teflon coating, that you could try that would be a little labor to change but cheap.
Thanks for the input. That was my first thought, but still no change. I think I can rule those out. I applied brake grease too, so pretty sure they aren't the culprit.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by 16IngotFX4
Maybe rotors need to be trued. Smooth doesn't mean straight, unless you are using the word "smooth" interchangebally.
Smooth, as in no visible grooves. Even running my fingernail across the rotor it's smooth and doesn't catch any ridges.

Another option is you've got some bit of metal embedded in a pad.
Possibly, but the pads look fairly new. I can check again.

Are you using ceramic pads an have ceramic pads always been used?
They look to be metallic, and it was a fleet truck before I got it, so I highly suspect they have always been metallic pads.

Quick Reply: 2012 F150 ear piercing brake squeal!!!