Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2003 F150 4.6l P0171 and P0174 Codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 F150 4.6l P0171 and P0174 Codes

About a month ago my CEL light came on. Was a misfire in cylinder 4. Replaced Cop and plug, but problem stayed. Since then, I have now gotten 2 more error codes, the infamous p0171 and p0174. So far I have done the following:
  • Replaced Air Filter
  • Replaced MAF Sensor
  • Replaced Fuel Filter
  • Replaced all plugs, cops and injectors
  • Replaced both upstream 02 sensors
  • Clean EGR Valve, and replaced gasket
  • Cleaned throttle bottle and replaced gasket between that and intake manifold
  • Replaced intake manifold gasket (cleaned and scraped all surfaces)
  • Checked all Vacuum lines and connections for leaks
  • Ensured PCV valve is good.
  • Replaced EGR Pressure Feedback Sensor
  • Replaced IAT Sensor
Unfortunately the more I fix it the worse it gets. Engine has an extremely rough idle, barely accelerates, takes forever and extremely high rpms to shift, smells like it running to rich, not to lean. Today I noticed the driver side cat was glowing red within 10 minutes of idling, so that needs to be replaced.

I also have the thermostat, coolant thermostat and tps sensor I am replacing tomorrow. I should be getting my pressure test kit so I can test the fuel rails pressure and see if that is within spec.

Here is a link to yesterdays live data: https://imgur.com/a/czrLk7H (I do not know how to interrupt this data. I am a YouTube mechanic and can do the work, but don't really understand this scanner readings)

Today I also noticed that the fuel system goes from ol-fualt to cl fault.

I am at a total loss. Really can't afford this right now but need to get this truck running properly as it is my daily commuter. Any tips here? From everything I have read online it seems like it's down to the fuel pump and Cats. Also, is it normal for only 1 sides cat to be that hot and the other normal? I am at a complete loss and have no idea what to do going forward.

Any and all advice is much appreciated.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:22 PM

Update - Truck no longer pulling a p0171 and p0174 code. However, now its pulling a p0136, p1131 and p1151 code.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:33 PM

New Update -

Codes now being pulled off the truck are:

Fuse 23 popped, (for the HEGO Sensor), but I replaced it. Not popped again as of yet, but truck barely runs. Any help at all would be appreciated...
Old 09-30-2018, 09:12 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Looking at all of your codes and posts and the imgur picture of your live data with N/A showing for the B1S2 fuel trim I'd guess that you lost an O2 sensor. Either it died, or the wires shorted or broke. The 1131 code is a code for a failed O2 sensor system. Just a guess but everything seems to point to a problem with an O2 sensing circuit. O136 is also code for an O2 sensor problem also, B1S2, which is the one that shows N/A in your live data.

The PCM added too much fuel and killed a cat on one side, because that's the side that had the bad O2 sensor. Maybe. The other side's sensor seems to be fine with a 7% fuel trim number. Maybe replace the B1 sensors and the cat and see how things end up

Just guessing, not a pro. Forgot to say, that long line of codes you're at now might be just resulting from your plugged cat with bad O2 sensor. I think that once enough codes get set they tend to breed more. Fix the first codes first.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0136

https://www.engine-codes.com/p1131_ford.html

https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ford/

Quick Reply: 2003 F150 4.6l P0171 and P0174 Codes