Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB charging socket in 16' dash tray.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 05:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default USB charging socket in 16' dash tray.

I haven't seen this before and halfway through a install, I realized I really wanted a charging port in the dash tray.

Install was pretty easy, you'll need to remove some dash pieces to route the power cable down to it's splicing point, but other than that it was smooth sailing.

I needed to add a back plate made from aluminum as I didn't like the flex in the tray when I was using the plugs, but I'm sure the tray would be just fine without it.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:31 PM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

Good idea but it's going to get pretty hot up there for whatever is charging.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Would you be so kind as to post all the part #s for the RAM products (ball mounts and base bracket)? What are you planning on mounting there? I use similar RAM hardware in my boat for 3-5 lbs. of GPS/Sonar hardware, and it it has been pretty good for the last decade. 1" ball, I think. I'm sure it takes a lot more pounding in my boat, than it ever will on your dash, no matter how much you like to off-road. I see the holes, so I'm guessing the whole tray fastened down with bolts. I too would be concerned with the heat up there, but I suppose you could always remove the items if parking in direct sun in the summer.

packrat
Old 01-07-2019, 05:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

These are the 1" ***** with square mounting base: RAM-B-347U

Bracket: https://www.builtrightind.com/produc...015-ford-f-150

Bolts are #8-24 - 3/4"

Anything left on the dash would get pretty cooked anyway. But with the car still having the auto-shutoff for the cigarette outlets, I don't plan on leaving anything plugged in and sitting on the dash anyway.
The main purpose of this set-up was so that I don't have cable draped across the radio face when I have the gps or phone being used for navigation.

I'll be using this to mount my garmin, cell phone and a dash cam when out running around. Ram had dedicated mounts for most GPS units and these cool little " X-Grips" for mounting random cell phones.

- Matt
The following users liked this post:
baron (04-14-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 10:44 AM

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

How hard was it to route the wires behind the dash? I was thinking of doing something similar but I just wanted to route a phone cable through the tray. I love the Apple CarPlay but having the jumpseat and not the center console there’s not an optimal place to keep your phone while plugged in unless you have the phone in the upper tray and the cord hanging down the front of the radio. I don’t mind having the cord plugged into the stock usb hub but hate the cord hanging. Wanted to route the cord behind the dash and just drill and grommet a hole in the upper tray so the cord would just stay up there

Quick Reply: USB charging socket in 16' dash tray.