Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Separate Charging Systems.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Two Separate Charging Systems.....

I have a 1986 Ford F150 with a 300 I6. I am planning on building a hydrogen cell for it and am researching ways to make a good power source. My plan is to buy a Chrysler alternator without the internal voltage regulator, then I would like to isolate that alternator from my primary Ford alternator. There is plenty of advice on how to hook up duel batteries, duel alternators in series etc... But I cannot find any info on how to isolate one alternator from another. I don't want the two alternators sharing any current at all. I want to completely isolate one charging system from another, because I want the Chrysler alternator to deliver raw amp power to the hydrogen cell. I'm afraid that if the two alternators share the same ground, then somehow the Chrysler alternator would fry my system. I've considered building some kind of plastic mounting bracket for the Chrysler alternator.... Any thoughts?