Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 2wd to 4wd conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1997 2wd to 4wd conversion

I have a 1997 Ford F-150 and want to convert it from 2wd to 4wd. Please don’t hate or say I’m making a dumb decision. I have sentimental attachment and will not sell this truck. If anyone has done this before please put a list of parts I need. Can i just go to the junkyard and get a 4x4 front axle and transfer case?
Old 10-11-2018, 09:55 AM
Bronco II Nut

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

you'll get the comments anyway....

i get the sentimental value

my advice is to cruise craigslist/facebook and find a truck like yours, but 4x4, that is wrecked and/or doesn't run.

both axles if the 4x4 gearing is different than yours
yes, transfercase. but you will need the 4x4 transmission, or swap the output shafts and related parts.
driveshafts (plural)
and a bunch of other stuff (mounts, crossmembers, little things you forgot about)

once you have a complete truck to your liking, then sell/scrap whatever is left from both trucks. this will be an in-depth project, and will take time. a covered place to work is a major plus. i threw engine/trans/t-case/axles into a vehicle they never came stock with, all outside in the dirt. it sucks.

luckily, you are swapping parts that were available for the vehicle. technically its a "bolt-on" swap, but a very tedious, time consuming one.

got mechanical skills, patience, dedication, a place to work, and a 2nd vehicle to drive for a while? then go for it.

Last edited by Tony Raine; 10-11-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:26 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I agree with Tony. If it's something you want to do, why not? I've done plenty of things over the years that didn't "pencil out". He is absolutely right about starting out with a donor vehicle. You'll find there are a lot of small hardware items, brackets etc. that you didn't anticipate.
-- Back in 1983 I built a 4WD Pinto station wagon, but I cheated. I took a complete Ramcharger chassis, cut it down to 95" wheelbase, and dropped the body on top.
Compared to that monstrosity, your conversion is pretty straightforward. Have fun!
Old 10-11-2018, 04:44 PM
Bronco II Nut

Originally Posted by PerryB
I agree with Tony. If it's something you want to do, why not? I've done plenty of things over the years that didn't "pencil out". He is absolutely right about starting out with a donor vehicle. You'll find there are a lot of small hardware items, brackets etc. that you didn't anticipate.
-- Back in 1983 I built a 4WD Pinto station wagon, but I cheated. I took a complete Ramcharger chassis, cut it down to 95" wheelbase, and dropped the body on top.
Compared to that monstrosity, your conversion is pretty straightforward. Have fun!

should have used a Bronco II chassis, everything lines up pretty decent
Old 10-11-2018, 08:37 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

If it were me I would find the donor 4x4 as mentioned then just swap the cab and bed over to that chassis sell the rest to cover beer for the friends that helped me. Seems to me the body is really the only thing that might hold any sentimental value as the rest of the vehicle is just the machinery that carries it, hidden away underneath rarely seen.

You'll want the wiring harness and pcm from the donor obviously.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:58 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Raine
should have used a Bronco II chassis, everything lines up pretty decent
Tony, I had the Ramcharger chassis and my buddy Bob had the Pinto. One night we got to drinkin' a bit and Bobby says "Hey, I just got an idea"... And away we went! -- Besides the RC already had a good running 440 in it.

Last edited by PerryB; 10-12-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:30 AM
Bronco II Nut

Originally Posted by PerryB
Tony, I had the Ramcharger chassis and my buddy Bob had the Pinto. One night we got to drinkin' a bit and Bobby says "Hey, I just got an idea"... And away we went! -- Besides the RC already had a good running 440 in it.

sounds like my kind of night

friend of my mom's had a rolled BII, a pinto, and a plow mount. awesomeness ensued. yankees are rednecks too, haha. its not "what do i need", its "what do i have"
The following users liked this post:
PerryB (10-12-2018)
Old 12-27-2019, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oops old post

Quick Reply: 1997 2wd to 4wd conversion