Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes or No to navigation???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 11:10 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Yes or No to navigation???

What's your opinion on the navigation system in the new F150s? When test driving the other day the salesman asked if I needed navigation. I told him it would be nice but wouldn't be a deal breaker either.

I have this little thing called Google Maps on my phone which I have used on every trip for the past however many years. My poor TomTom has not seen the outside of the console since I don't no when.

I've read about the built in nav not being very accurate and choosing extra long routes. Can anyone attest to this? Can you turn it on and adjust routes/destinations while driving, or is it one of those things where you cant do anything unless the truck is in park? Also apparently it seems it costs a pretty penny when any updated maps come out. Would I be better off just getting a newer stand alone GPS with lifetime map updates, or stick with my phone which has only failed me...................... never. TIA!
The following users liked this post:
lumpythetexan (08-27-2016)
Old 09-11-2015, 11:20 PM
z06

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ja8799
What's your opinion on the navigation system in the new F150s? When test driving the other day the salesman asked if I needed navigation. I told him it would be nice but wouldn't be a deal breaker either.

I have this little thing called Google Maps on my phone which I have used on every trip for the past however many years. My poor TomTom has not seen the outside of the console since I don't no when.

I've read about the built in nav not being very accurate and choosing extra long routes. Can anyone attest to this? Can you turn it on and adjust routes/destinations while driving, or is it one of those things where you cant do anything unless the truck is in park? Also apparently it seems it costs a pretty penny when any updated maps come out. Would I be better off just getting a newer stand alone GPS with lifetime map updates, or stick with my phone which has only failed me...................... never. TIA!
Stick with the phone and spent the money on something useful. Had the factory nav once and never again for the cost.
The following 5 users liked this post by z06:
130428 (09-12-2015), BCMIF150 (09-14-2015), ja8799 (09-11-2015), Papaya (01-05-2016), Ricktwuhk (09-12-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 11:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have not owned a vehicle with Nav, but i have used rentals with it quite a bit. I will say its not worth it in my opinion. Its slow, old, and usually doesn't even know of the places i wanted to go. I use apple/google maps on my phone all the time. I will say it is kind of a pain listening to the radio and having the maps on your phone going because sync won't let the phone voice the directions when they are needed (tun in 200ft etc.) But when you are listening to media on your phone it works great. Hopefully with sync 3 and apples CarPlay, they can have the system monitor the phone and switch back and forth when needed.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:32 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

For me, the nav... Just returned from a long trip and was very happy with the built in nav! I too have a smart phone with google maps.. While I am fine with that as well, never did like fumbling around with a hand held device while driving... Just my opin... dg
The following 3 users liked this post by ciscokid1957:
berty (09-01-2016), tooloud10 (09-12-2015), Ur Lzn (08-03-2019)
Old 09-11-2015, 11:33 PM

Received 705 Likes on 547 Posts

No the map updates are way to expensive and you can spend that money on something better.
The following users liked this post:
13. (09-12-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 11:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't really like them, I'd stay with your phone and get a suction cup mount with the money you saved for your phone so you can navigate easily without having to hold it.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:40 PM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I was very irritated that I had to pay an extra $800 for the nav just because it happened to be on the only truck I could find that had everything else I wanted. I too exclusively used the Google maps on my phone and saw absolutely no need to for the built in nav.

It's been 6 weeks since I bought the truck, and I have to say that love the but in nav!! For one it's nice not to have to fumble around to look at my phone all the time, and what I really like about the nav is it gives you a "point of view" image with an arrow leading you just as you are approaching a turn so it takes out any guesswork or confusion as to which ramp to exit of the highway.
I also like how at any time even if the nav is off, and no matter what screen you are on, on the upper right border of the screen it shows the current street you are on.

I have to say I will absolutely pay the money to get it on my next truck as well.

I have run it side by side with Google on my phone just to compare. So far, all the routes have been the same, however the ETA on the nav is always longer than what Google shows, but I have actually found the nav to be more realistic.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:43 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by EcoScrew13
I have not owned a vehicle with Nav, but i have used rentals with it quite a bit. I will say its not worth it in my opinion. Its slow, old, and usually doesn't even know of the places i wanted to go. I use apple/google maps on my phone all the time. I will say it is kind of a pain listening to the radio and having the maps on your phone going because sync won't let the phone voice the directions when they are needed (tun in 200ft etc.) But when you are listening to media on your phone it works great. Hopefully with sync 3 and apples CarPlay, they can have the system monitor the phone and switch back and forth when needed.
If I understand what you're saying correctly I'd probably be pretty used to it anyway. Currently if my phone is connected via Bluetooth, my audio source has to be set to phone to hear directions, so if I'm listening to the radio or cd there is no phone directions being spoken. Not a big deal for me, I've grown accustomed to using it primarily as a visual aid. Would be nice if they made it so that directions would be voiced over no matter what source was selected but I guess that would be having my cake and eating it too.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:52 PM

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

The factory nav system works fine. Almost as well as Google or TomTom or Garmin. Everything has its weak points.

Google uses data to update your map info. TomTom and Garmin have small screens as well as your phone.

As one of the early users for a few trucking companies and using Copilot truck with a laptop and a 7 inch aux display on my dash . Nav software works only as good as the users knowledge of how to plan a trip.

First off you need to configure your system for what you want. Do you want shortest trip or fastest? Shortest is not the fastest. Remember that computer is only looking at miles not traffic or speed. Fastest may be fastest by time but may be further in distance. Freeways are faster but using slower back roads maybe shorter.

The nav in my truck works fine when I use my trip planing applications I have access to.

There are two ways to make your trip much better than just using the screen in your truck.

First off register yourself with ford sync on there site. Then for your phone or tablet download the destinations app using the play store. Don't know about Apple. I don't do Apple.

You can also use Mapquest on your desktop.

Both allow you to plan your trip and send it to your truck and your nav will use that info.

I can plan a trip from my home here in the east SF Bay Area to Jacksonville Florida with all the stops I want to make, hotels I'm staying at, and the route I want to take without any issues.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:54 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by alping45
I was very irritated that I had to pay an extra $800 for the nav just because it happened to be on the only truck I could find that had everything else I wanted. I too exclusively used the Google maps on my phone and saw absolutely no need to for the built in nav.

It's been 6 weeks since I bought the truck, and I have to say that love the but in nav!! For one it's nice not to have to fumble around to look at my phone all the time, and what I really like about the nav is it gives you a "point of view" image with an arrow leading you just as you are approaching a turn so it takes out any guesswork or confusion as to which ramp to exit of the highway.
I also like how at any time even if the nav is off, and no matter what screen you are on, on the upper right border of the screen it shows the current street you are on.

I have to say I will absolutely pay the money to get it on my next truck as well.

I have run it side by side with Google on my phone just to compare. So far, all the routes have been the same, however the ETA on the nav is always longer than what Google shows, but I have actually found the nav to be more realistic.
Same here.. Also want to mention what I really like is being able to stop for a meal or whatever and the nav picks up as soon as to start the engine. No messing with the controls just a warning to keep an eye on traffic while pulling out of the parking lot... One more thing I like is the integration with the instrument panel. Now I think that is pretty cool...

Quick Reply: Yes or No to navigation???