Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why can't I get my radio or any audio to turn on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 08:00 PM
Ford Trucks Forever

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Why can't I get my radio or any audio to turn on?

300 miles on a 2016 Platinum and I get in the truck and the audio will not accept any commands either from the touch screen or the ****. This has happened twice already.

Last edited by D-man; 03-17-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Try a soft reset...hold down the power button and the right seek button for a few seconds.

If that doesn't help, try putting it in diagnostics mode...hold down the eject button and the right seek button for around 10 seconds.

If that doesn't work, unhook your battery cables for a few minutes ( you will lose your settings).

Sometimes computers just need a re-boot.
The following 2 users liked this post by jwr689s:
Booky (05-01-2022), RickC137 (11-26-2023)
Old 03-17-2016, 08:59 PM
Ford Trucks Forever

Originally Posted by jwr689s
Try a soft reset...hold down the power button and the right seek button for a few seconds.

If that doesn't help, try putting it in diagnostics mode...hold down the eject button and the right seek button for around 10 seconds.

If that doesn't work, unhook your battery cables for a few minutes ( you will lose your settings).

Sometimes computers just need a re-boot.
Ok I sure will. I won't be able to get to it now till the end of my shift. Thanks a lot my friend!
Old 03-18-2016, 09:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue the other day, hasn't happened since but I just did a quick 10 minute drive back from town and the radio would not work at all, same issue where it says audio off. When I got home I shut the truck off and back on and it worked fine, weird.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:24 AM
Ford Trucks Forever

Exactly what happened to me. After the 2nd time I posted here for a helping hand. I haven't done anything to reboot as of yet but if it happens again I will try that then off to the dealer which I would rather not do ever! Let's keep folks up to speed on our potential fixes.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:26 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Why would you not do the soft reset at least?
Old 03-19-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by englehart91
I had the same issue the other day, hasn't happened since but I just did a quick 10 minute drive back from town and the radio would not work at all, same issue where it says audio off. When I got home I shut the truck off and back on and it worked fine, weird.
Question on the Audio Off issue...

Last week, I drove home from work, about 15 minutes, and audio was fine. Packed a bag, then fired up the truck for a 2-hour drive to Chicago. No audio, and it made for a eerily quiet trip. Next day, I fired the truck up again, and I had audio back. No big bumps, and no on/off, so it doesn't feel like a loose connection.

I had no sound. No door chimes, no radio, no seat belt chime, no phone call sound via Bluetooth, no "your lights are on and the door is open" or "your key is in the ignition and the door is open" chime. Dead silence. Is this the same with you guys, or is it just the radio/audio?

When I first noticed the issue, I pulled over, turned the truck off, and opened the doors to power the dashboard down. No change, although perhaps Sync3 needs more than 10 seconds or so to power down. Just because the screen turns off, doesn't mean that the operating system has. I recently read that Sync3 starts booting up as soon as the door is opened, so if this happens again, I'll try leaving the truck off for more than just a few seconds.

I did not notice the "no audio" icon, but I wasn't looking for it.

Just curious if my issue is the same as yours...

Edit: This happened once, and I've got 14,000 miles on the truck already.

Last edited by SloMoJoe; 03-19-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

My basic sink on XLT did the same thing weird thing is I stuck a CD in the slot and it came back on??
Old 03-19-2016, 01:13 PM
Ford Trucks Forever

Yes that is exactly what happened and I also stopped turned everything off opened the door and restarted the truck and still nothing until the truck sat at work all day then back to normal...for now!
Old 03-19-2016, 04:21 PM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

With all Fords computer generated electronic issues, it's amazing Ford continues to sell these trucks at such a brisk pace. I guess we're all accustomed to buying electronics or software that doesn't work, then wait for patches to fix the glitches!

Now Ford is selling $50k plus trucks, not $50 software or a $500 computer. And that's called progress?

No worries, my cable tv box gets confused, and I have to unplug it to reboot, just like Fords new F-150's! Wow!!
The following users liked this post:
kendive (03-28-2016)

Quick Reply: Why can't I get my radio or any audio to turn on?