Topic Sponsor
2015 - Present Ford F150 General discussion on the latest generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welding the front crumple zone

 
Old 04-03-2019, 06:54 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
KingDeleted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 657
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Welding the front crumple zone

Im considering building a front bumper for my truck. Can I weld plates to the crumple zone? Id like to strengthen the front end by boxing the crumple zones with bumper mounts. Any reasons why this is a good/bad idea?
KingDeleted is online now  
Old 04-03-2019, 06:59 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 270
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Crumple zone is there for a very specific reason, strengthening it by boxing it in is just asking for someone to get seriously hurt in an accident. I would personally not even think of doing such a thing.
Canon101 is offline  
Old 04-03-2019, 07:02 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
KingDeleted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 657
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Canon101 View Post
Crumple zone is there for a very specific reason, strengthening it by boxing it in is just asking for someone to get seriously hurt in an accident. I would personally not even think of doing such a thing.
I understand that it absorbs crash impact but these trucks shatter if you hit anything over 20+ mph. Id like to be able to pull the abs fuse and ram some stuff. I could hit other cars at 30mph with my other truck and the bumper would only have a scratch. What can I do to make the front end more stout?
KingDeleted is online now  
Old 04-03-2019, 07:13 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 270
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

I get it, just another troll thread, nicely done. Got me!
Canon101 is offline  
Old 04-03-2019, 07:15 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
KingDeleted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 657
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Canon101 View Post
I get it, just another troll thread, nicely done. Got me!
troll? No. Thanks for all your help. This has been done and is not unheard of, there is no federal law that requires a crumple zone anyway. Its only there to lessen impacts for the driver. Has anyone with experience attempted this on a 2015+ ?

Last edited by KingDeleted; 04-03-2019 at 07:17 AM.
KingDeleted is online now  
Old 04-03-2019, 07:35 AM
  #6  
2018 XLT 4x4 SCREW 3.5EB
 
zimm17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Davie, FL
Posts: 255
Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

Take out the seatbelts and ABS while you're at it. Yes vehicles "shatter" when hit, that keeps the energy from killing you. There's a reason why automakers spend millions in research and crash test to design the "zones" and engineer what goes where when hit hard. Before all this technology, say in the 50's, a 30mph head on would be fatal. Now we ask if the truck is totaled or if it will be fixed.

Crash bars, engines mounts designed to push the drivetrain under the driver's floor, collapsing steering columns, pre-tensioning seat belts, the list goes on and on. If you think eliminating the crumple zone will improve the truck in a crash, you're greatly mistaken.

Sure go for a heavier bumper, but it needs a place to go when hit.
zimm17 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
RubyRed18 (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 07:43 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,887
Received 510 Likes on 336 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KingDeleted View Post
Any reasons why this is a good/bad idea?
I had a fried and fellow MSF instructor in California back in the late 80s. He was driving our older F250 towing our mobile classroom. Back then trucks were tough and didn't have these crumple zone things that case our wimpy new trucks to be totaled with a 25mph crash.

A lady doing drugs crossed the center line and they hit pretty much head on. She was driving one of the newer small Toronados with that fancy new crumple zone technology. He had no chance to swerve while towing.

She walked away and we buried my friend.
mikeinatlanta is offline  
Old 04-03-2019, 07:48 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
KingDeleted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 657
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by zimm17 View Post
Take out the seatbelts and ABS while you're at it. Yes vehicles "shatter" when hit, that keeps the energy from killing you. There's a reason why automakers spend millions in research and crash test to design the "zones" and engineer what goes where when hit hard. Before all this technology, say in the 50's, a 30mph head on would be fatal. Now we ask if the truck is totaled or if it will be fixed.

Crash bars, engines mounts designed to push the drivetrain under the driver's floor, collapsing steering columns, pre-tensioning seat belts, the list goes on and on. If you think eliminating the crumple zone will improve the truck in a crash, you're greatly mistaken.

Sure go for a heavier bumper, but it needs a place to go when hit.
Another swing and a miss. Consider, instead of ruining 50+ part in a crash, your front bumper bends. Womp womp
KingDeleted is online now  
Old 04-03-2019, 08:05 AM
  #9  
ford dealer parts guy
iTrader: (1)
 
djfllmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 14,891
Received 1,114 Likes on 901 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by zimm17 View Post
Take out the seatbelts and ABS while you're at it. Yes vehicles "shatter" when hit, that keeps the energy from killing you. There's a reason why automakers spend millions in research and crash test to design the "zones" and engineer what goes where when hit hard. Before all this technology, say in the 50's, a 30mph head on would be fatal. Now we ask if the truck is totaled or if it will be fixed.

Crash bars, engines mounts designed to push the drivetrain under the driver's floor, collapsing steering columns, pre-tensioning seat belts, the list goes on and on. If you think eliminating the crumple zone will improve the truck in a crash, you're greatly mistaken.

Sure go for a heavier bumper, but it needs a place to go when hit.
^THIS...100% this
djfllmn is online now  
The following users liked this post:
zimm17 (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 08:06 AM
  #10  
ford dealer parts guy
iTrader: (1)
 
djfllmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 14,891
Received 1,114 Likes on 901 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KingDeleted View Post
Another swing and a miss. Consider, instead of ruining 50+ part in a crash, your front bumper bends. Womp womp
you are surly mistaken. look at the cars from the 50s-70s. they were made to 'fight' off the crash rather than absorb the energy...killing people left and right.

these vehicles are made to absorb energy so it doesn't get transferred into you

Last edited by djfllmn; 04-03-2019 at 08:10 AM.
djfllmn is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Welding the front crumple zone


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: