Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty delimma

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 08:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Warranty delimma

My center rear window defroster does not work, see picture below. My delimma is the warranty repair would require an entire new rear window. With the previous horror stories of the rear windows leaking and shattering. Do I take the chance to have it replace and risk leak etc? Or do I just live with the in-operable defrost?

Old 04-10-2019, 12:16 AM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

I’m in the same boat. I’m going to have it changed out, because it’ll bug me to know I have something that doesn’t work.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:19 AM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

I would have it fixed. If it leaked, I would have it fixed again.
The following users liked this post:
KrS14 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 01:45 AM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by 77Ranger460
I would have it fixed. If it leaked, I would have it fixed again.
X2.
I guaranty more repairs end successfully than otherwise, and if you're worried that 'repairing' your truck will only cause more problems because the internet told you so, it's time to take a break from the internet
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 06:27 AM
Old Fart

Received 297 Likes on 222 Posts

Another option is to move a little further south, like Cuba, where you probably would never need the defroster.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by yokev
X2.
I guaranty more repairs end successfully than otherwise, and if you're worried that 'repairing' your truck will only cause more problems because the internet told you so, it's time to take a break from the internet
I agree that more repairs end in success than not. However there has been inconsistencies with the quality of these rear windows that enough people have had unsuccessful repairs and dumped their trucks because of it. I'm simply trying to gauge if that's a small set of outliers or if it's truly occurring often. Just doing my research and dugiligence.

Oh and if I did believe everything the internet told me, I'd be a trillianaire because of all the checks I'm going to receive from those Nigerian prince's that keep reaching out.

Originally Posted by remltr
Another option is to move a little further south, like Cuba, where you probably would never need the defroster.
Cuba has great rum. Havana club is one of my favorites.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:29 AM

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

I would be curious why the whole window needs to be replaced. Can you see a visible break in the heating conductor?

It would seem to me that the problem is likely not with the window, but rather with the wiring/control for the defroster. Have you checked any of the connections? are you in fact getting voltage at the window? just a quick place to start, but i am of the mindset that i like to do my own diagnosis before visiting the dealer.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:45 AM

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Are you at all mechanically (or more like electrically in this case) inclined? Have you considered taking a peek at it to see what's wrong yourself? The dealer is most likely just going to replace the entire thing without a second thought, but if you aren't keen on that idea, what if it's simply a bad connection or pinched/broken wire that could easily be repaired? I would think that's most likely what it is anyways since that pane moves.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by mattd17
I would be curious why the whole window needs to be replaced. Can you see a visible break in the heating conductor?

It would seem to me that the problem is likely not with the window, but rather with the wiring/control for the defroster. Have you checked any of the connections? are you in fact getting voltage at the window? just a quick place to start, but i am of the mindset that i like to do my own diagnosis before visiting the dealer.
Originally Posted by C17chief
Are you at all mechanically (or more like electrically in this case) inclined? Have you considered taking a peek at it to see what's wrong yourself? The dealer is most likely just going to replace the entire thing without a second thought, but if you aren't keen on that idea, what if it's simply a bad connection or pinched/broken wire that could easily be repaired? I would think that's most likely what it is anyways since that pane moves.
I looked awhile back, easily 6 months, and I don't recall seeing anything out of the ordinary. This evening I will take a look again, maybe pop open that wire clip/ harness and check connections. Had it at the dealer yesterday for its oil change and to see if they could get ford to replace the wheels. All four are pitting after 2 years. Had them look at the rear window while its still under 3/36k. I rolled 35,750 on my way home today from the office.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:33 PM
2018 XLT FX4

Received 643 Likes on 398 Posts

This happened to me. Rear window was replaced and no issues with leaking. It's about the quality of the work.

Quick Reply: Warranty delimma