Topic Sponsor
2015 - Present Ford F150 General discussion on the latest generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning! Truck wonít hold in park.

 
Old 05-12-2018, 06:35 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Warning! Truck wonít hold in park.

2018 screw 3.5 w max tow. 2k miles.

Barely avoided disaster on boat ramp today. I was pulling out the boat and had it on the trailer and 1/2 out of the water. Put the truck in park (no emergency brake) got out to crank the winch and the car and boat started rolling down the ramp making a loud clicking noise. I was able to jump in, hit the brakes, and drive it out safely. Pure luck the boat and truck didnít hit anything and the truck didnít end up in the ocean.

I normally use the ebrake in this situation, but not this time and it was almost a disaster. I drove home unhoooked the boat and the truck wonít hold the truck in park w out a boat even on a small grade. Heading to the dealer tomorrow.

Anyone have more information on this? Is It an already fix? The clicking sound as the truck rolled back sounded seriously bad.
Slipstream is offline  
Old 05-12-2018, 06:38 PM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 25
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Isnt there a recall on transmission for this?
SteelCityJoe is offline  
Old 05-12-2018, 06:39 PM
  #3  
Size Matters
 
tmcolegr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 4,546
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,164 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Slipstream View Post
2018 screw 3.5 w max tow. 2k miles.

Barely avoided disaster on boat ramp today. I was pulling out the boat and had it on the trailer and 1/2 out of the water. Put the truck in park (no emergency brake) got out to crank the winch and the car and boat started rolling down the ramp making a loud clicking noise. I was able to jump in, hit the brakes, and drive it out safely. Pure luck the boat and truck didnít hit anything and the truck didnít end up in the ocean.

I normally use the ebrake in this situation, but not this time and it was almost a disaster. I drove home unhoooked the boat and the truck wonít hold the truck in park w out a boat even on a small grade. Heading to the dealer tomorrow.

Anyone have more information on this? Is It an already fix? The clicking sound as the truck rolled back sounded seriously bad.
did you have the recall performed on the transmission linkage?
tmcolegr is online now  
Old 05-12-2018, 07:13 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

It sounds like the recall issue. Have not brought it in yet.
Slipstream is offline  
Old 05-12-2018, 09:04 PM
  #5  
Gearhead
 
Jus Cruisin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 846
Received 149 Likes on 95 Posts
Default

BET you use the e-brake now, like you should. Never rely on park.
Jus Cruisin is offline  
The following 11 users liked this post by Jus Cruisin:
2AF150GA (05-15-2018), BCMIF150 (05-13-2018), dhmcfadin (05-12-2018), fiveholematt (05-20-2018), jrdejavux (05-20-2018), rajacat (05-16-2018), RustyHammer (05-17-2018), SCrewYou (05-12-2018), seadragon (05-13-2018), Wade88 (05-12-2018), wchain (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 09:18 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 270
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SteelCityJoe View Post
Isnt there a recall on transmission for this?
Is this a recall for the 10 speed? Cause I have the 6E80 here...only recall I got was for the door latches...
Delavan is offline  
Old 05-12-2018, 09:18 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,003
Received 428 Likes on 293 Posts
Default

The parking pawl is designed to hold the weight of the truck, not the truck plus trailer and/or payload. This is owner error for not using the parking brake.
RL1990 is offline  
The following 8 users liked this post by RL1990:
Brand (05-13-2018), dhmcfadin (05-12-2018), FX4* (05-15-2018), NickSzew (05-15-2018), Ricktwuhk (05-13-2018), seadragon (05-13-2018), Wade88 (05-12-2018), wchain (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 09:30 PM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

While there is a linkage recall, this is pure user error, recall work done or not.

It's not an emergency brake, it's a parking brake, to be used to successfully hold the truck, and whatever it is controlling, or holding. I can't imagine using the transmissions park pawls to hold the truck on anything but completely flat ground...let along a boat on a slippery boat ramp...... you almost ended up on a YouTube compilation.
CEaton12 is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by CEaton12:
fiveholematt (05-20-2018), seanmclean (05-17-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 09:46 PM
  #9  
Fanboyism is for the weak
 
SCrewYou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,237
Received 426 Likes on 295 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
Is this a recall for the 10 speed? Cause I have the 6E80 here...only recall I got was for the door latches...
yes, 10 speed only.
SCrewYou is offline  
Old 05-12-2018, 10:04 PM
  #10  
Trying to figure it out!
 
Scott91370's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Burleson, Texas
Posts: 1,587
Received 232 Likes on 199 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RL1990 View Post
The parking pawl is designed to hold the weight of the truck, not the truck plus trailer and/or payload. This is owner error for not using the parking brake.
Originally Posted by CEaton12 View Post
While there is a linkage recall, this is pure user error, recall work done or not.

It's not an emergency brake, it's a parking brake, to be used to successfully hold the truck, and whatever it is controlling, or holding. I can't imagine using the transmissions park pawls to hold the truck on anything but completely flat ground...let along a boat on a slippery boat ramp...... you almost ended up on a YouTube compilation.
So which is it? Only the truck or the truck and whatever it si controlling or holding?
Scott91370 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Warning! Truck wonít hold in park.


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: