Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voice activated navigation

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 09:56 PM
tny

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Voice activated navigation

I am wondering if Voice activated navigation provides equivalent/better/different functionality than an iPhone with CARPLAY. Will I miss big if I drop this option in my truck to be?

I will appreciate any comments
Old 02-17-2019, 10:02 PM

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

I don't like the factory nav. I use my Garmin. Standby for a mix bag of opinions.
The following users liked this post:
caneman88 (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:13 PM

Received 200 Likes on 104 Posts

I have a 2016 with Factory Nav w/ screen and Apple Car play works well and you can use Waze.
depends on your tires also BFG KO'2 are a little noisy so without Car Play Siri only picks up 70% of what I voice text thru the Sony Ford System.
You can always add an aftermarket head unit if you don't like the voice nav
Any aftermarket head unit is way better than anything Ford has out there.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:27 PM

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Factory av is the worst nav I have ever used.
FordGate (02-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:57 PM

Received 203 Likes on 129 Posts

Traveled 11,450 miles in just over 3 months from east coast to west coast and back; towing a camping trailer and visiting nearly every tourist attraction possible. Did not have any problems with my navigation. Found camp grounds, gas stations, restaurants and most anything else we were looking for. I could tell it addresses while driving, which was nice. I'm sure at some point I'll have to get it updated, but otherwise I'm glad I ordered my truck with it. Navigation was not something I originally planned on getting as I already had a couple of GPS's. But the truck I almost bought before I decided to order a truck exactly like I wanted, had navigation so I ordered mine with it. On our trip we took a GPS with us just in case, but never plugged it in. In almost 3 years and 53k miles I have had no problems with the navigation. But then again, I haven't had problems with things that others have had problems with. My 2 cents worth.
Ifallsguy (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 12:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My biggest gripe about the navigation is trying to figure out the right commands to use. I try and try different approaches but I can never get it t consistently work. It’s error after error, so I either enter it manually or just use Google via CarPlay
​​​​​​. That said, I really do which I could figure out the right usage and take advantage of it properly
duck9191 (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 12:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the factory nav is good most of the time - 80 to 90% or so. It's convenient, no plugging anything in, nothing sitting on dash or mounted to windshield.

The drawbacks: Maps are already old when you buy the vehicle. Sometimes 2 or 3 years old. Several neighborhoods within a few miles of where I live are not on the factory map. Also, after the initial Sirius trial period it no longer gets traffic data. It's not nearly as good at finding campgrounds, sights, other points of interest, etc, that are off the main roads.

I've used CarPlay and Waze,both are very good with traffic and being up to date, but I don't like having to connect my phone and then have the car take control of my phone. Also, if your phone does not get a cell signal, it may not work for navigation. Some apps like google let you download maps ahead of time, but this requires planning ahead and doesn't help if you decide to go exploring.

I'm considering getting a TomTom or Garmin as a back up to phone and factory nav. Sure would be nice to have a built-in one device that would do it all.

Last edited by Duaharimau; 02-18-2019 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:59 AM

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

Currently no update is available for trucks 2016 and above. If and when available, it's about $150.00.

https://here.navigation.com/north-america/find-a-map-update

https://ford.navigation.com/product-list/Catalog/Catalog_Ford_F-150_2016/en_US/FordNA/USD

Last edited by msgtord; 02-18-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:24 AM

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by MH150
My biggest gripe about the navigation is trying to figure out the right commands to use. I try and try different approaches but I can never get it t consistently work. It’s error after error, so I either enter it manually or just use Google via CarPlay
​​​​​​. That said, I really do which I could figure out the right usage and take advantage of it properly
Yep, that my issue with the whole sync system, you have to know the exact command to get it to do anything, its like programming lol. Android auto with google assistant is much easier to use because it will figure out what you meant for the most part using plain english. I mostly use waze, but i have found its routing does some weird stuff. I sometimes use google maps with a previously defined route i made on the computer when we are going camping. Factory nav is great when you are in the middle of the woods with zero cell service and want to explorer, thats the big downside to waze and google maps.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:47 AM
tny

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all. No ford navigator it is!

Quick Reply: Voice activated navigation