Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration at 40, and 70?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 08:42 PM
The expat

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Vibration at 40, and 70?

so.... my seats shake at 40 and just over 75 (legal road here), took it up to 80 and it was like driving over cobblestones! Truck has less than a 1000 miles on it, dealer I got it from is an hour and a half away, is it worth going back to them or just a local place for a tire rebalance or am I totally barking up the wrong bush?
Old 03-05-2020, 08:58 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I just went through this, but not as dramatic a vibration as you have described. Yesterday the dealer I bought from (last week) changed to my choice of a different brand of tires; road force balanced them and installed. The difference in ride and smoothness was amazing. Mine is an F150 and had Goodyear Wrangler A/T, 20" wheels. They switched tires after re-balancing the original Goodyears, which did not help,

What make, model, year is your truck, and what size wheels and what model tires do you have? Has it had this problem since you've owned it, or did this just start?
Old 03-05-2020, 09:05 PM
The expat

Originally Posted by Will-S
I just went through this, but not as dramatic a vibration as you have described. Yesterday the dealer I bought from (last week) changed to my choice of a different brand of tires; road force balanced them and installed. The difference in ride and smoothness was amazing. Mine is an F150 and had Goodyear Wrangler A/T, 20" wheels. They switched tires after re-balancing the original Goodyears, which did not help,

What make, model, year is your truck, and what size wheels and what model tires do you have? Has it had this problem since you've owned it, or did this just start?
2019 SCREW Platinum 3.5 EcoBoost 4x4 with 5.5 ft bed with Hancock 275 55/R20s straight from the dealer

I guess tonight was the first time I’ve had the opportunity in two weeks to really see what it was like at highway speeds so it could have been there forever.

its not unbearable at 70. There’s something there but I would put it down to the stiffness of the suspension since it’s a vehicle built to be under load et al, but the other speeds... that’s a new one on me
Old 03-05-2020, 09:20 PM
The expat

From a quick google I’m thinking I’ll just go to a local tire place tomorrow and have them road force balanced. If that doesn’t fix it, back to the dealer
Old 03-05-2020, 10:42 PM

I'm also wondering if there is something to do with these light weight aluminum beds, and if it improves with some weight in the bed (or a cap was installed).
Old 03-05-2020, 10:50 PM
The expat

I'm also wondering if there is something to do with these light weight aluminum beds, and if it improves with some weight in the bed (or a cap was installed).
I had a similar thought. One possible test would be to tow something heavy and see if the weight improves things some but I don’t have that facility. Hopefully a road force balance fixes things. Worth paying versus driving an hour and a half to the place I bought it from
Old 03-06-2020, 08:43 AM

After you get that done and do a road test, if there's still some vibration going on, have the tire guy put 2 or 3 old tires in the back of the bed, and take another ride. See if the weight makes any difference. I have read some threads where a few guys who had put a few bags of sand in the bed, said it helped. We shouldn't have to do that, but it might help pinpoint the source (pinion gear & rear diff plate, D.S., or rear axle issue?
Old 03-06-2020, 08:48 AM
The expat

After you get that done and do a road test, if there's still some vibration going on, have the tire guy put 2 or 3 old tires in the back of the bed, and take another ride. See if the weight makes any difference. I have read some threads where a few guys who had put a few bags of sand in the bed, said it helped. We shouldn't have to do that, but it might help pinpoint the source (pinion gear & rear diff plate, D.S., or rear axle issue?
Good idea. I know in the UK with the few trucks we had, it wasn't uncommon back in the 80's and 90's to put railway sleepers in the bed to weigh it down and add traction, but that wasn't for a vibration fix.

Apparently discount tire near me has a Hunter Roadforce Elite so I'm calling them in 12 minutes when they open to see if they can do a Match Mount and Road Force Test for me at lunchtime (Assuming it isn't crazy in work)
Old 03-06-2020, 02:42 PM
The expat

Took it for a road force balance and it got substantially worse, even at low speeds. Guess it's back to the dealer I go... at least I got a tire warranty for $130 bucks
Old 03-07-2020, 09:23 AM
The expat

Took it to a dealer this morning rebalance the tires apparently they were asking for more weight so they took all the lights off and re-balance from there, but 70 mile an hour is awful. I now have to wait until Wednesday before I can take it in

Quick Reply: Vibration at 40, and 70?