Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undercover Flex installation - what is wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 11:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Undercover Flex installation - what is wrong?

Attempted to install undercover flex on 2015 lariat, 5.5 bed. Doesn't seem to fit flush and latches barely seem to catch. Instructions say to mount the rails flush, or 1/8 inch above top edge. Mine are actually slightly below the edge, but it still seems high. There is a natural cantor to the side of the edge of the truck bed that maybe throwing things off. It's almost like I need shims. Anyone else having this issue?

Old 05-19-2015, 11:52 PM

He is a comment on another thread. I experienced this as well.

I did have a security problem though. With the tailgate closed and locked, I could shove the cover either right or left enough that one of the rear latches would move completely out from under the rail -- allowing me to simply raise that corner & pull the wire to open the entire cover.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Undercover Flex on my 2015 F150 as well, it does not fit like yours.
First the rail edge has to be even the top edge of the box rail cap, your pic's show yours installed below it by what looks like an 1/8 of an inch. Bring it up at the very least to be even with the top or slightly above (like about 1/64 of an inch above).
You look to be having more issues than that though, your box rail cap looks to be tipped up on the inside of the box, causing the tonneau rail to sit tipped in the same direction, and the cover to sit to high. I can't be sure but your pic's look like you have the top of your Bedrug stuffed up under the edge of the box rail cap tipping in up.
Hopefully that helps you out a bit, goodluck.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:02 AM

I initially had the bedrug tucked under, but also tried it untucked.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:44 AM
2015 Ruby Red King Ranch

Received 63 Likes on 26 Posts

Yep, bedrug tucked under is giving you half of your problems. The rails need to be as close to perpendicular as you can get them in order for the cover to properly close. Shims will help with the latch issue.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:27 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I suggest you contact Undercover's technical support. I dealt with them on an issue with mine and they were great. Excellent customer service.

Beyond that I suggest you slide the side rail up until the top of the side that fits against the bed rail is flush with top of your truck's bed side. Right now it looks like your about 1/4" beneath where it should be. I'll take a pic of mine and post in a few minutes so you can see what I mean.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:55 AM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

My 2 cents.... The top caps are not level. Cut the bed rug or do whatever you need to do to get the top caps level and the insides perfectly vertical. I would actually recommend the opposite, move the rails down so the cover will fit tighter when closed. Any water that gets in will go down the rails and out the truck. Also you can adjust the latches. Loosen the two screws and move the latch out slightly. I got that advice directly from Undercover. Also, buy a 1/2" pvc elbow and run the tube out the side tube right by the top at the front of the bed. No need to drill any holes. Works great. Hope this helps.

Trending Topics

Old 05-20-2015, 09:46 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a picture of mine. It's folded back once but that's hard to tell from the picture. Another thought, do you have the bracket set up like mine. They should be slotted in the bottom slot.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by G1Eagle
Here's a picture of mine. It's folded back once but that's hard to tell from the picture. Another thought, do you have the bracket set up like mine. They should be slotted in the bottom slot.
Thanks for reply and picture.

Your rails/clamps look pretty level. I think mine need to be that way for the cover to work properly.

I did try the the bottom slot of the clamp, and the top slot too.

I tried pulling the bedrug out from behind, but it seemed to make no difference. The slope of the inner bed rail has a fixed angle that is not affected by anything behind it as the bed rail doesn't move (plastic on metal).

I talked with Tyler at www.undercoverinfo.com and he said to lower the undercover rails to compensate, but they are about as low as I can get them with the bedrug and structure of the bed. The advice, which seems reasonable, goes against the installation instructions that say the undercover rails should be flush or 1/8" above the bed rail.

He also said that the slam latches can be adjusted by loosening 3 screws. That will help security wise, but I think the cover will leak and not look right unless I can get it flush.

Wondering if this is just a peculiar installation issue of mine, or is this really a slight design flaw in the undercover flex cover for the 2015 F150?
Old 05-20-2015, 02:12 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks to me in your pictures that your caps aren't level.

Quick Reply: Undercover Flex installation - what is wrong?