Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under seat storage with a twist

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 07:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Under seat storage with a twist

I have read many threads on here about under seat storage. I am not finding what I am looking for though

I typically have 1 to 3 car seats in the back of my truck. I would like to find some type of storage that I can put under the seat, that won't slide around everywhere under normal driving conditions, yet still allow for me to pull it our or access it when there are car seats in the back and I can't lift the seats up.

Not looking for something that I was specifically made for this but something that I can get from Home Depot, Amazon etc that I can mod to make it work

thanks
The following users liked this post:
Danielw1 (12-18-2021)
Old 05-23-2018, 08:25 AM
Wandering Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking into the same thing since I just got back into a pickup after having a massive SUV for five years. The car seats for the kiddos definitely restrict the access to any kind of form-fitted or specifically designed under seat storage. I as looking at the DU-HA (on Amazon
Here Here
) before I realized I'd never be able to access that space without removing seats (at least during long trips....the day-to-day won't have car seats). I did see that one guy got the DU-HA but didn't screw it into the frame under the seats. Instead he just used some heavy duty Velcro so that it would stay in place under normal operating conditions, but he can always pull it out (forward, not out to the sides from the doors) when he needs access. He then simply slides it back under the bench and pushes it snug to get the Velcro to reattach.

It sounds reasonable, especially given the contour and design of the storage bin. I haven't tried it myself, but I am curious. If I end up copying this method I'll come back and update the thread.

Let us know if you find anything during your search! The dads and moms of the F150 world would love to read about it.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 1,091 Likes on 464 Posts

Someone on the forum had made a box to fit under the rear seats that had a drawer coming out the side. Perfect for what you're looking for it sounds like; think it was the same situation as you as well, car seats. If I run across the pics again I'll bump it and post one here
Old 05-23-2018, 08:41 AM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

I have posted my storage bins on here a couple of times, so you probably saw them. They came from Lowe's.

You can always buy a plastic storage bin and cut it down to fit. Use spray rubber on the bottom so it won't slide around in the truck.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 96 Likes on 57 Posts

Magnets!

1. Buy an under-seat tray.
2. Buy some really strong magnets from a hardware store.
3. Attach magnets to inside of tray and inside of the Ford divider under the seat.
4. Cut finger holes in each end of the tray.

Magnets will keep the tray from sliding forward (assuming you use enough).
Finger holes will allow you to pull the tray forward while the seats are down (though you may have to trim a bit of material from the top front of the tray if it is pinched down too hard by the seats)

The following 2 users liked this post by MotoMedic:
2AF150GA (05-23-2018), GreenandGold831 (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 11:26 AM
Wandering Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude...that's even better. That's exactly what I'm doing now.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:56 AM

Received 989 Likes on 485 Posts

I also have 2 car seats that are main stays in my truck. I was toying with the idea of some kind of under seat storage that had drawers you could latch closed (so they didn't come open during breaking) but basically you didn't have to remove the car seats and lift the seat up for access. Think small kitchen drawers underneath the rear seat.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:10 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I put a few canvas mechanics duffel bags under there with my stuff in them. They work reasonable well.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:37 PM

Received 219 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoMedic
Magnets!

3. Attach magnets to inside of tray and inside of the Ford divider under the seat.

Finger holes will allow you to pull the tray forward while the seats are down (though you may have to trim a bit of material from the top front of the tray if it is pinched down too hard by the seats)

I love this idea! I only have the single seat down at all times because of a car seat. I want something to stuff my jackets and other random stuff in for storage, but still want to easily remove it on long road trips so people can stash their backpacks and other miscellaneous items under the seat. I also like having access to the whole floor for trips to the store so this would make it easy to remove the storage for that as well.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:46 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoMedic
Magnets!

g

You could also put grip tape on the bottom to make it rough, that should keep it from sliding.

Quick Reply: Under seat storage with a twist